Xilinx ISE WebPACK-7.1i on NetBSD

nextPart1307657.pUKEuseWx9 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8Bit

Here are some tips and two small patches for running ISE WebPACK-7.1i on NetBSD using Linux emulation. Xilinx is now supporting their free ISE WebPACK-7.1i on Linux, however they are only supporting it on Redhat Enterprise. This information is for those who do not wish to shell out a huge amount of money and sign restrictive contracts with Redhat in order to use it.

These instructions are for NetBSD-2.x but a lot of the information applies to Suse Linux as well since NetBSD currently uses a Suse-9.1 Linux base for their emulation environment.

Reply to
Chet Stemen

Correction:

This should be

unpack first shar like archive in your current directory

That is the whole package.

WebPACK_71i_installer.sh is the installer only.

-- Chet Stemen

Chet Stemen

nextPart1272258.hQQm2AeVHE Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8Bit

Here are some tips and two small patches for running ISE WebPACK-7.1i on NetBSD using Linux emulation. Xilinx is now supporting their free ISE WebPACK-7.1i on Linux, however they are only supporting it on Redhat Enterprise. This information is for those who do not wish to shell out a huge amount of money and sign restrictive contracts with Redhat in order to use it.

These instructions are for NetBSD-2.x but a lot of the information applies to Suse Linux as well since NetBSD currently uses a Suse-9.1 Linux base for their emulation environment.

Reply to
Chet Stemen

I got this working in FreeBSD too.. well for some definition of "work :

I found that if I run rpcbind and make sure my hostname is resolvabl

via DNS the Wind/U timeout is fast-ish.. (30 seconds or so) wherea without it, it takes several minutes(!

ktrace shows that a linux_socketcall() is attempted just prior to th

error about weak client creds, and it returns EPERM. Unfortunately don't know what the socketcall() is for/to/about since ktrace isn' very good at displaying that stuff and strace gives bogus results fo linux binaries

I have found that it won't open files or projects though - the fil

dialog doesn't appear - instead you get an error dialog complainin that the path is too long :

Reply to
Darius

I've found out how to prevent the delays.. If you run rpcbind with th

-i (insecure..) flag, there is no delay. (Well this is with BaseX bu I don't see why it would be any different for WebPack

Still trying to figure out why my file dialogs complain about lon

paths though.

Reply to
Darius

I think the problem is that the lame-ass Windows emulation libraries have limited environment variable space. A typical BSD env is too long. It works for me when I start it up with a minimum environment, like so:

$ env - PATH=$PATH HOME=$HOME sh $ . settings.sh $ ise

Darius wrote:

Reply to
tlb