ISE 6.1 and Redhat 9

I am very thankful that Xilinx is now supporting Linux directly in ISE6.1. However, out of the box it only directly supports Redhat 7.3 and Redhat 8. Has anyone managed to install it under Redhat 9 and what if anything did you need to do to get it to call the glibc libraries successfully?

At the moment when I run ./setup, it fails with an error msssage stating that it cannot find the glibc libraries. I am unsure if I can run multiple versions of the gcc compiler Comments Thanks Garry Allen

Reply to
Garry Allen

Try (bash),

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

It runs fine on my RH9, Hans.

Hans

Question... have you done any benchmarks for performance relative to Windows? (Synthesis/Translate/Map/PAR) Same or similar hardware would be best.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Matt

Thanks Hans I will do it tonight Garry

Reply to
Garry Allen

Hehe... okay, let me rephrase. Have you noted any performance differences relative to your Windows experiences? Good and bad. I promise not to call it a benchmark! ;-)

I haven't had the opportunity to try the Linux version yet. --Matt

"Lies,

what

can

Reply to
Matt

Our limited testing has show Linux to be about 10% faster than Windows running PAR. Linux also uses less memory. The average is about 6% less and a few really big designs that run out of memory on Windows XP run fine under Linux.

Steve

Matt wrote:

Reply to
Steve Lass

Hopefully there will be a 64-bit Opteron version...

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Yes, that's the plan. Of course running on a 64 bit operating system takes about 1.5X more memory.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lass

That's great to hear!

Sure! But it can take advantage of a lot more memory too. Memory is inexpensive, so if configuring a machine with 8G or 16G of RAM speeds things up or succeeds in PAR for large designs that fail on

32 bit systems, that's a small price to pay.
Reply to
Eric Smith

Thanks Steve. I appreciate the feedback.

it

be

Reply to
Matt

Do they have the same ceiling ? ISTR comments on (some versions?) of windows only being able to access 2GB RAM, because MS decided the other 2GB was for them, not for you. ( and who would want > 2GB anyway.... :)

Any tests of Linux/AMD 64 bit CPUs P&R ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Yes, both Windows XP and Linux can address 3G. As far as I know, Windows 2000 will only address 2G.

Not yet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lass

I just received some more complete benchmark info on Linux vs. Windows XP using ISE 6.1i. The average runtime on Linux is 18% faster than Windows. The best we saw is 43% faster.

Also, one of our application engineers tried a customer project that uses a XC2V1000, via ISE 6.1i. His quote:

Note that this is not a configuration that we officially support, and of course he is running ISE 6.1i which is a 32 bit application.

Steve

Steve Lass wrote:

Reply to
Steve Lass

Running 64-bit Linux on an AMD64 processor (Opteron or Athlon 64) allows 32-bit Linux applications to access just under 4G. I haven't tried ISE 6.1i on an AMD64 yet, but I expect that it should be able to P&R larger designs than on 32-bit CPUs.

None of my designs to date have needed more than 1.5G.

Reply to
Eric Smith

I didn't know this, but apparently others in the software organization did.

Thanks for the info,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lass