Impact vs. Linux RedHat Linux

I filed a WebCase over this, but I'm going to ask here in case others have run into this problem as well. I expect the Linux User Density to be higher here then at Xilinx Support:-)

I have impact from ISE 6.2i installed on a Linux/Intel machine, so that I can use the PC-IV cable. It was working for a while, but now all the sudden it ishopelessly non-functional. All I get is I dialog box with the message:

Can't access this folder Path is too long

I don't know if this matters, but I've been running impact on my main workstation for a while, making ACE files for another project (open source, stay tuned) and that has been and still does work fine. My home directory is shared. I've tried removing the .WindU file that keeps appearing.

(For the record, I find this Wind/U thing phenomenally klunky and embarassingly slow.)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Stephen Williams

Maybe it's one of those spaces in the path names problems disguised as path too long.

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

Might be.

I found that there was a ~/.windu.flask directory as well as a .WindU file that needed deleting. Deleted the directory and I am back to life. *Whew*!

I did notice that the various dialogue boxes get very confused and start storing garbage if you type control chracters or arrow keys in the various text entry fields. It is possible that just the right bit of junk got into its brain that it finally went insane.

Have I mentioned yet that I hate this Wind/U atrocity?-)

Anyhow, I now get to deal with the consequences of accidently pushing Vref of a PC-IV pod on to GND. You would think that a $100 device would make a bigger spark:-/

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Stephen Williams

So, *when* do you get this message? When you are generating an ACE file? When you are accessing the cable? When you are trying to write the ACE files to the compact flash? Spotaneously for no apparent reason? What were you doing when it started to appear?

[The .WindU file is important and will always be regenerated so don't mess with it]

Stephen Williams wrote:

Reply to
Neil Glenn Jacobson

But like I said elsewhere in the thread, it appears there was some sort of poison in the ~/.windu.hostname directory. Removing that directory got me out of the problem. It may be (blind speculation) that the file got corrupted somehow, so that the initial directory where file selection boxes go was an invalid directory.

So far as I can tell, there are only 2 things that can be safely done with the file: ignore it or remove it. Generally, ignoring it is the best plan, but this time I was left with the other option.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Stephen Williams

I have to jump in here !

This Wind/U crap is made by some sort of a third party, to "easy" "porting" of windows applications to unix like systems.

I can't see the usability of any GIUs made with this Wind/U stuff. Did anybody try to use EDK on Linux ? C'mon, I am trying to get a job done not finding out alternative ways to use a mouse and a keyboard.

Great to see the results from the Wind/U "porting" tools. Don't have to bother evaluating or trying it out for any of our projects - what a piece of crap !!!

If Xilinx could find an alternative to this Wind/U, I think they would have an excellent tool flow for Linux (plus fixing the paralle port support to something native of course).

Regards, rudi ============================================================= Rudolf Usselmann, ASICS World Services,

Your Partner for IP Cores, Design, Verification and Synthesis

Reply to
Rudolf Usselmann

Well if they ever need a cross platform gui they should look at wxwidget (was wxwindows )

available for windows , linux and mac ox as well as support for x, gtk+ , motif

for some screenshots follow the links

for a list of users which includes AMD , AOL , Green Mountain(VHDL Studio), ING (Bank), Lockheed Martin, Ecos, Scitech , Xerox and others

for a list of applications writen using it

wxperl

wxpython
are bindings for those languages

Probably take a bit / while to rewrite but to have one common main project would make it easier to support multiple platforms.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Apparently, Xilinx is doing just that, as mentioned a few days ago in another thread. Scroll down to message 5 in the thread.

My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).
Reply to
Duane Clark

Xilinx should try whatever Altera uses. Their Linux version of their tools seems to work fine.

Wilbur

Alex Gibs>

Reply to
Wilbur Harvey