FPGA clock gating ? Or how to avoid it in this case ?

Hi,

So, my problem :

I have a netlist of a module. I can't change it, it comes from a big manufacturer and they have no interest whatsoever in really helping us especially since we're not really paying customer but more "academic researcher" ...

This takes a stream of continous data, and they have to be continuous,

1 each clock (there are pauses but very far apart) and they don't have "enable" on their registers. Now, the rest of my chain only can process 2 data in 3 cycles ...

So an idea would be to "block" the rising edge 1 cycle every 3 cycle, maybe using a bufgmux ? Also, I'm considering using the "divide clock by 1.5" circuit by Peter Alfe, and use some sort of clock domain crossing technique to cross my 2 data back and forth. Any suggestion on this ?

FYI: I'm working in a virtex4 FPGA.

Thanks for any insight ...

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

"Sylvain Munaut " wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Hi Sylvain, If the netlist is in EDIF format, I believe Synplify PRO will 'fix' gated clocks for you. This might solve your problem. HTH, Syms.

Symon

Wow, that's really interesting, thanks.

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

So run the two processes in different clock domains. Make one from the other with a DCM so there's no long-term drift. Then connect the two with a fifo.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to