Freescale fractional clock divider paper

This looks interesting but I'm having trouble deciphering how it's actually supposed to work due to poor tech writing/diagramming on the part of the authors. Can anyone explain how this system is actually supposed to work or what a real-world FPGA implementation might look like?

Reply to
bitrex

Well that definitely won't help. Try this:

Reply to
bitrex

What's the big deal? See...

on the S.E.D/Schematics Page of my website, posted some 14 years ago.

The "big deal" is that these two "engineers" will get H1B visas and come to the US and take your job >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I'm hoping to use a colorburst xtal oscillator and divide it down by

227.5 to get the horizontal NTSC line frequency without the use of a fractional PLL (which I don't have the hardware to implement in the device I have to use)

The linked paper looks like a variant on something I've seen before; have two counters that divde by 227 or 228, run them into a 2 channel multiplexer/3 bit LUT, feed the output into a divide-by-227 and run that back to the multi line-select input. Not sure exactly what improvements/ modifications they're making here

If this is the average quality of professional writing coming out of the subcontinent I'll go there and take 50 of theirs with time to spare. Hope they like shoveling snow, suckas!

Reply to
bitrex

227 _and_ 228, rather
Reply to
bitrex

From my post: Drive U1A:A from 3.579545... Run U1A:Y thru a DIV455 ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Or, look at some old HP gear that squared up a 40 MHz clock with 74H00 and trapped the fifth harmonic... to get 200 MHz so they could divide by N, N.2, N.4, N.6, N.8...

The '74H' dates the scheme, that would have been early-mid 1970s...

Reply to
whit3rd

Are they still using NTSC and designing new stuff for it?

Reply to
Rob

Who's "they"? Lots of stuff still has NTSC/PAL composite video inputs and as long as that's the case there will probably be a need for stuff with composite video outputs. The fact that with "modern" displays the signal is just fed to an ADC immediately and processed digitally is irrelevant - it still needs to have the correct timing/sync pulses.

Reply to
bitrex

It's a while since I played with such things but could one not just feed th e signal to an oscillator running at around 1/2.5th the frequency and have it lock. With the right amplitude it should lock on the voltage extremes bu t not the centre voltage of the osc input.

My memory says no, only whole multiples, but I can't think of any reason wh y.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

the signal to an oscillator running at around 1/2.5th the frequency and hav e it lock. With the right amplitude it should lock on the voltage extremes but not the centre voltage of the osc input.

double it then integer divide

makolber

Which is what I said in...

From my post,

Drive U1A:A from 3.579545... Run U1A:Y thru a DIV455

(Only 1st D-flop is needed.)

I guess bitrex needs it built and handed to him on a platter ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Well, the same stuff probably has RGB, Composite or digital inputs as well, and will provide a much better picture when those are used.

I really can't see a use of NTSC (or PAL, for that matter) in the modern world. Yes, people clinging on to their old TV set may be using it on cable (transmitters have been shut down over a decade ago here), but using it for equipment-monitor connections is a bit weird.

Reply to
Rob

We use video camera's and monitors to 'see' into the NIR. Fortunately there is still a big consumer market.. (so things are cheap) Back-up video monitors for cars and trucks.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

One use is for closed-circuit television. To make a simple camera-wire-display ensemble.

DVI is short-wire-only (ditto HDMI and DisplayPort) USB options are driver-crippled and short-wire-only IP variants don't function in real-time VGA takes too many wires, and there's no camera so equipped ATSC encoders aren't available in a camera: that digital transmission standard is fast to DECODE, but not to ENCODE.

Find something OTHER than composite video that can drive a 20-meter video link, which doesn't delay to boot an operating system and navigate the internet. Tell me that the cable it uses is as easy to buy as BNC-terminated coax. Tell me that the cameras and monitors are interchangeable with multiple vendors.

Composite video is sometimes the only candidate.

Reply to
whit3rd

I noticed that it looks like the designers of this FPGA were thoughtful enough to bury an edge-detection functional block way down in the manual that can be configured to fire on the rising and falling edges of a clock simultaneously, thank you for your kind offer, though! ;-)

For reference here's the patent where a logic configuration similar to what it looks like the writers in the original paper (which I still don't follow) are talking about is described:

Reply to
bitrex

FPD-Link?

Yep. Good enough is usually good enough.

Reply to
krw

4X colorburst crystals are easy to find, and cheap. 14.318180 MHz. They were common in a lot of video equipment.
Reply to
Michael A Terrell

ed the signal to an oscillator running at around 1/2.5th the frequency and have it lock. With the right amplitude it should lock on the voltage extrem es but not the centre voltage of the osc input.

n why.

maybe no-one can answer the question :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think "Rob" might be confusing composite with RF-modulated composite, like you'd plug into the antenna jack of an old tube TV set and select channel 3 or channel 4. I'm not modulating anything, just baseband video

  • sync. The cable with the yellow plug.
Reply to
bitrex