clock divider

Hello

I'm looking for information about clock dividers.

I need information about clock dividers that can divide an 100MHz clock with for example 7812.50 (fixed point number) that gives an output of 12800Hz.

Thanks Rune Christensen

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rune Christensen

Tell us more about your application. For example, is 7812.5 a fixed number, or will it be varied at "run" time or compile time?

What precision do you need? Does the 7812.5 have to be exact, or is there some tolerance?

How much jitter can you tolerate on the output?

What range of duty cycles can you tolerate on the output?

Whatever. The answer is probably going to involve a phase accumulator, and I'll probably end up directing you to this web site:

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

I have written a divide by 2.5 routine. You could use this followed by a divide by 3125 to give 7812.5 that you require.

--- Divide by 2.5 counter --- entity div2p5 is port ( clk : in std_logic; q : out std_logic); end div2p5;

architecture div2p5_arch of div2p5 is signal cnt0 : std_logic_vector (2 downto 0) := "000"; signal cnt1 : std_logic_vector (2 downto 0) := "000"; signal q0 : std_logic; signal q1 : std_logic;

begin

Andrew Rogers

"Allan Herriman" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

with

7812.5 will vary during run time because it will depend on the osc frequency nom. 100MHz

The reference that I use is a PPS (pulse per second) signal that has a precision on +/- 50nsec

A small jitter on 12800Hz +/- 1000 ppm is okay but a control loop should remove the jitter when measured over e.g. 1000 secs

Regards Rune Christensen