Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E - Page 16

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Podcast:http://www.eevblog.com

Because he could. And there is clearly interest in what he reported.

It isn't logically that different from reporting on finding undocumented
instructions on a CPU. Undocumented useful commands on a piece of kit.

In the "Land of the Free" with DMCA I expect that is also a criminal
offence.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

It's with some interest I've read the discussions on the
legality/morality of performing this mod.

Two thoughts come to mind-

First, it's been the practice by many cellphone compamies to sell
phones to customers at less than cost, up to 50-70% off the  retail
price, to attract customers with the expectation that over the course
of the contract the'll make thier money back. They protect their
investment in gaining customers this way by software locking the
phones so that they will only work on the provider's network.
Of course it didn't take long for hackers to learn how to un-lock the
phone's network restriction leading to the situation where people
would sign up for service, get their phone, then cancel the contract,
get the phone un-locked & go on a cheaper plan from the original
provider's competitor.  There was a lot of talk from the providers
selling the subsidised phones about the legality of this but to my
knowledge the people offering the un-locking service operated openly &
none was ever prosecuted, beacuse at the end of the day the phones
belonged to the customer.

The second thing that come to mind is a few years back suppliers of
contact lenses (Boush & Laumb as well as Johnson & Johnson) ended up
getting sued because they were selling daily use and long term contact
lenses, with the daily use ones of course being significantly cheaper,
when in fact both types of the lenses were the exact same product
except for the packaging.

At the end of the day, unless you'ver signed something specifically
legally preventing you from making this mod then it's got to be legal.
simply by the fact it isn't illegal.  Whether or not it's "moral" is
going to depend on the individual's viewpoint.

H.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

The usual presumption for different prices is that
different COSTS are involved.
Is it worth it for Rigol to include the supposedly
higher end parts in the lower end models?
Would using the higher end parts in the
"crippleware" versions pay dividends when
it comes to service and repair, repair parts
inventory and one test jig for both models?
How many of the low end scopes do they
sell for each low end one they sell?

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

---
I'd guess just about one. ;)

JF

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Typo !
How many of the HIGH end scopes do
they sell for each LOW end one they sell?

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Wrong.
Supply - demand  + goverment intervention.
Nothing more, nothing less.

--
Andrew

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Dreamer.  You should use less wild and crazy drugs though, too much20%
wild hallucination.

Show me a true Adam Smith style market.  There hasn't been one in the20%
USA for over a century and a half.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

= Dreamer.  You should use less wild and crazy drugs though, too much
= wild hallucination.

Haven't you noticed "government intervention part" mentioned above?

Point being "cost" does not make any difference. After the product is
manufactured "cost" is a lost money anyway. All you can do is to attempt to
sell for as much compensation as you can.

"Cost" affects the decision to manufacture or not to manufacture the
particular products.

= Show me a true Adam Smith style market.  There hasn't been one in the
= USA for over a century and a half.

There has not been one ever, AFAIK. However it does not matter.

--
Andrew

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Bog, have you never heard of per unit costs?  Part of which is called =
BOM?

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

== Bog, have you never heard of per unit costs?  Part of which is called
BOM?

See above, i can repeat it one more time.

"Cost" affects the decision to manufacture or not to manufacture the
particular products."

Price is the result of negiotiation between the seller and the buyer, ant
not the pure function of cost.
You will sell with a huge profit if you can or with a huge loss if it is the
only way to recover at least some of the cost.

--
Andrew

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

You are too damn scattershot to follow.  A proper direct answer was =
required,20%
you gave many other things instead.  Go away until you can give a =
straight answer.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Amazing and amusing.  Nice to know.  I think i will get a 1052.  Though i=
20%
probably will not mod it.  There may be other less obvious differences,20%
like selected parts in the input attenuators, and selected diodes in the20%
sampler.  Not all mod results may be so pleasing.  Though it does make20%
me wonder about getting it to go even faster.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:29:12 +1100, "David L. Jones"

I was just using my 1052E with external trigger and a fast-rise step
on channel 1. At 5 ns/div, with a very fast, clean input step (30 ps,
actually) the reported risetime is 6.1 ns and the step is slightly
overdamped (which soft shoulder costs 10-90 risetime), maybe the
result of the varicap adding a 1st order rolloff to what should be a
Gaussian system. The 20 MHz step is definitely exponential, Tr 17.5.

What's impressive is that jitter is well below 1 ns p-p, which means
they are quantizing the trigger time to well below 1 ns and adjusting
the effective sample clock to a fraction of one sample. Neat for a
$550 scope.

I wonder why they didn't do the bw limiting digitally.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

For those who thought Rigol may bin the scopes to get 50MHz and 100MHz
models, and that they aren't actually identical hardware and firmware, I've
been informed that Rigol have finally admitted this to an irate customer who
contacted them about the issue.

Partial Quote from Rigol :
"The firmware of the instruments is made
to enable capability based on the version purchased just like any software
licensed product you would buy."

Betcha they would never have admitted that before it was all exposed a few
weeks ago.

Dave.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 20:23:54 +1100, "David L. Jones"

I'm surprised they wrote that, at all.

One thing I find interesting is that if the same hardware is
used for 100MHz and 50Mhz versions, either the 50MHz system
is a bargain because it includes 100MHz capable hardware
(implying it performs better than it would otherwise) or else
the 100MHz version really isn't up to snuff.

Jon

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Or the 100Mhz version is up to snuff but overpriced? is that not an option?
In fact, it seems like the most likely case. It is been a well used
marketing ploy to bring in extra revenues.

For example, it would be like paying for an upgrade to first class when all
seats are first class. Of course to get you to buy the upgrade they tell you
that coach sucks and is for losers and only intelligent and beautiful people
go first class.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

It is funny to watch people who feel "cheated" by "overpriced" Rigol units.

Rigol sells unit X with capabilities Y at price Z.

The only thing they have no right to do is to sell unit that does not work
as advertized.
It may or may not work better.

If you do not like the price you do not buy it. buy somebody else's or not
buy at all. End of story.

Rigol does not owe you or anybody else anything.
If they want to add 10MHz limiter and sell this new 10MHz unit, it is their
choice, not yours and definitely not mine.

Bla-bla-bla.

--
Andrew

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

"Andrew = Damn LIAR"

** Not one person here is doing that.

  You  LYING  PILE  of   ARROGANT  SHIT !!!

....  Phil