Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

I have an old Notebook computer for more than 5 years. Because I use it
often, the notebook finally has some problem occurred.  The most
important thing is that the plastic case between notebook and monitor
broke. I spent 120 dollars have those problem fixed. Recently, my
notebook was dead. I visited computer shops try to get some help. I
believe that my computer can be fixed, but it will cost me a lot of
money. While visiting those computer shops, I found a lot LCD monitors
for sell. An idea crossed my mind. Can I recycle my notebook and turn
it into a stand alone LCD TV or LCD monitor? But I did not find any
accessories in the shops.

It's a bad luck. Am I wrong? Can't it be possible? I went home and
found some tech information about the differentiation between a
notebook LCD monitor and a standalone LCD monitor. The different is
that the standalone LCD monitor accept analog signal from a PC because
it go with a AD converter. The notebook one is only digital signal. So,
the notebook LCD monitor can not be used directly. It needs a converter
to convert the analog single into digital signal. Also, I need a
inverter to activate the CCFL(lamp).

So, the theory is simple. If I got a converter and an inverter, and the
connections are correct, I can DIY my own LCD TV. I searched the net
through YAHOO, E bay, and alibanet. Finally, I found a company which
sell LCD accessories including LCD plastic case, inverter, and the most
importer one the driver which convert analog signal to digital signal.
Different types LCD panel use different driver. I sent my panel picture
to him. See picture 1. The red circle is the model number. It is very
important to tell sell in order to give me the correct connector and
driver board.

For more information, please reply.

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

You can't.
Sell the computer on ebay.
Buy a LCD monitor.
It's in principle possible, but in practice, it's much, much easier to
ebay, and buy a new one.

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

Very right.
I designed a board to do this a little while ago, for a company that sells
LCD panels. You need first the TV tuner, then a system to digitise this
into a memory area. Then the ability to rescale the access to this memory
to match the size of the LCD, and the ability to clock this data
asynchronously out onto the panel. Development cost was a few tens of
thousands of pounds. The actual units are only a few dollars produced in
quantity, but they have to be designed to match the connection sequence of
the panel concerned (we did all the output , using a fpga, which allows
this to be reprogrammed to suit different panels). You could probably make
a 'one off', using some dual port memory, a video digitiser board, and
some discrete logic to drive the panel, but you would need full timing
details for the panel, and the cost would be many times what an LCD TV
costs.
Sell the laptop as a non-working 'scraper' on ebay, and it may well get
recycled into fixing some others, or repaired itself.

Best Wishes

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

Hello Roger,

Depends on what died. If the notebook doesn't power up anymore, sure.
But if it just lost a drive or battery capacity you may be able to use
it, at least in Europe. I have heard that people in Germany buy these
DVB-T sticks that plug into USB, to watch digital TV on their computers.
In most regions over there TV has been converted to digital so you have
a quite complete array of channels. The sticks are supposedly cheap and
must contain the tuner.

These days I just would have a hard time to find anything worthwhile
watching :-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

EETimes showed a tear down of one of these sticks recently. Here's the
article:
http://www.eet.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID18%7201881

and the image that went along with it:
http://i.cmpnet.com/eetimes/news/06/05/DC1423_TEARDOWN_2_PG_44.gif

Sendung mit der Maus?

Andrew

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

Hello Andrew,

Thanks. The EET server seems to be down right now but the images are
great. Amazing.

Call me a Luddite but I wouldn't even know what that is :-)

A few years ago a neighbor asked us whether we had seen David Letterman
last night. "David who?". TV doesn't mean much here, except for the
news. Instead of buying a big plasma TV like many around us we invested
in a pool table. That's a lot more fun, going to play again tonight.
There is a TV in that room but it hasn't run for at least a year.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

ISTM we debunked this one before:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/a65567ad6ee43e99/9a04113c9518601c?q=Frontline+Nature+American-Experience+zzz+NOVA+Mystery+Ask-This-Old-House+Think-Tank+%22+Charlie+Rose%22+Masterpiece-Theater

Several more of my favs have since gone out of production.
The new one I liked ("Heist") was getting bad-mouthed by Leno;
I didn't get the point of his "jokes".

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

Hello Jeff,

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/a65567ad6ee43e99/9a04113c9518601c?q=Frontline+Nature+American-Experience+zzz+NOVA+Mystery+Ask-This-Old-House+Think-Tank+%22+Charlie+Rose%22+Masterpiece-Theater

Ok, maybe with the exception of Gilligan's Island. My wife left the room
shaking her head when I said that I actually enjoyed it. But then we
moved to the country side. Just an arial and that channel is now gone.
Oh well.

I have never watched Leno. And I don't plan to either.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

What is the company that you found and how do I get in touch with them?

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

Please to see my blog.
http://360.yahoo.com/smartjohn5611

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

Where did you order this stuff..?
And what did it cost..?

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

I can get one for you. what is your model number of the panel. The
number is on the back of the panel. Take the back side of picture and
send it to me.
my e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

The package including a VGA driver board, inverter, power adapter, VGA
cable, and 12.1"LCD panel case about 68USD. If you want TV tuner
function, the package cost 98USD. Different size of case the price is
slightly different. Shipping not included.

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

You can check 'Sanyo LM-CD53-22NEK' I have a few other too thoe.
Any of those driver boards that can be controller over ethernet..?
Ie sending picture data that way.

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

This is STN panel not a TFT-CLD. My driver board does not support this
kind of panel.

Re: Turn your Laptop monitor into a LCD TV

More information please see my blog.

http://360.yahoo.com/smartjohn5611

Site Timeline