Foxtel IQ2

I recently had IQ2 installed, and the installer put a filter on the line
because I also have Bigpond cable internet, and I was wondering why the
filter is necessary, or if it is really necessary. The filter is
labelled: Telstra HPF80S High Pass Filter 85-1000 mhz. TIA.

Re: Foxtel IQ2

You have a filter on there because your IQ is connected to the phone system.
That is the way it updates the 'On Demand' and also how you order your 2 free
movies per month.

If you have broadband, any appliance connected to the phone system needs a
filter on it so's it doesn't interfere with the broadband/adsl signals.

If you have 3 phones throughout the house, a phone/fax, or even a fridge that
is connected to the phone line/internet, you need filters on all of them.

I used to have a septic system that had it's own phone line (for the alarm
system), and it played hell with my broadband till I (first) disconnected the
phone line, and (second) got the septic company to put a filter on the line.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

He said he has cable. The filter is to isolate the IQ "noise" from the audible
vocal frequencies.

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipvdBnU8F8

  - KRudd at his finest.

Re: Foxtel IQ2
They also connect to the phone line as well as the cable

Re: Foxtel IQ2

The filter is on the socket where the cable goes into.

Re: Foxtel IQ2

So its not on the phone line?

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipvdBnU8F8

  - KRudd at his finest.

Re: Foxtel IQ2

Sounds like a load of shit to me!!!!!!!

Re: Foxtel IQ2

It's no use complaining, I'm sure he's undeterred.

Re: Foxtel IQ2

Hmmmmmmmmm. second place is the first loser..... you know that, right?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Something that I am quite sure you would be perfectly able to judge from
taste and smell.

You eat shit a lot, don't you?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

You really don't have a clue do you?

The filter the OP is referring to has nothing to do with the phone line!

The high pass RF filter is used to prevent the upstream transmissions
from cable modems below 50 MHz (there are a number of upstream channels
in that range (e.g. at 34 and 39 MHz etc).
Downstream cable modem channels are up in the 500 MHz band which cable
modems receive on.

Foxtel DVB-C transmissions are in the 600-800MHz range (in 6MHz wide
transmission channels).

The IQ2 unlike the other STB models however is particularly sensitive to
spurious noise from nearby cable modem transmitters and isn't adequtely
filtered internally. Hence why since early testing began it is official
policy to install high pass filters on the RF input to block signals
below 50MHz. The filter selected like the HFS80S specifies a low of 85
MHz but that just allows sufficient roll off to block the lower <50MHz
signals.

Re: Foxtel IQ2

BFD.

I gave my opinion........ you could have shown that you were some sort of
'expert' with half a brain and just given your 'expert' opinion and
ignored my post.

But no..... you have to try and big note yourself...... which just makes
you (and the other two) out to be the cyber hugging no-friend techno geeks
that you really are.

Next time, asshole, rather than assume that everyone spends their whole
life like you with their noses buried in some electronics manual, think
before you open your stupid mouth.

It *might* (and that is a very big might) just make you appear to be a
half decent human being.

[Techno babble deleted]

Get a life man.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Your info was just completely wrong. He had a right to point that out
exactly as you do often if you find someone posting bullshit about some
subject they know zilch about. You can sling the criticisms, but you can't
take it. Hypocrite.
Oh the frigging irony. If you'd thought and read the original post properly
you'd be the one to have kept your stupid mouth shut.

Nothing you've ever done on Usenet has ever shown you're even a human being,
lucas, let alone even a half decent one.

LOL. Obviously too much for you to comprehend.

PKB.

--
Thomas

Re: Foxtel IQ2

Into aus.tv.pay and aus.electronics it was.

being.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Pity about aus.comms fuckwit.

Never ever could bullshit and lie its way out of a wet paper bag.

No surprise that it got the bums rush, out onto its lard arse, time after time
after time.

Re: Foxtel IQ2

The technician who installed my box *told me* that the box had to be left
on so's that it could "update the software if needed and update On Demand
content".

So...... a so called 'expert' gave me the wrong info.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a techno-geek, but if a so-called
'expert' gets it wrong, then I'd take any info given by the so called
'experts' in here with a pinch of salt.

There seems to be a lot of dribbling and techno babble without any real
solutions.

You *ass* ume....... again.

*Especially* if you so called 'experts' see a chance to jump on someone
who makes the tiniest mistake!!

I missed the word "cable"........ BFD, get off your high horse, build a
bridge, and get over it.

Take your own advice.

As I stated previously..........

And yet, you didn't. You saw an opportunity to taunt, and you took it.

That speaks volumes for the sort of person you are in real life.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Yes. The BOX needs to be turned on so the tuner can receive the content
from the On Demand feed channels. The software of the box is also
updated with the software update data stream.
There is absolutely no need to have the phone line connected to get On
Demand content and software updates applied. You only need the phone
line to order box office and PPV and even then you don't need to plug it
in until you reach the spending cap that the card will store before it
refuses to accept any more requests until it can transfer it's cached
requests back to the server.

Nope, what he told you was completely correct in leaving the box on.
It's the phone line that doesn't need to be left connected. A
significant number of installations these days are not connected to the
phone line and those customers are told that they will have to order PPV
and box office from the Foxtel internet site rather than with their
remote control.

I provided the correct answer to the OP. You're the one left talking
about 'solutions' with your incorrect answers and tirade of abuse to
others here.

Huh? Unlike you, when did I resort to childish name calling?

I didn't taunt. I corrected your clearly misleading information. Oh, and
yes I am the sort of person in real life which isn't afraid of
correcting someone who is spreading misinformation.

Re: Foxtel IQ2

Your resident "expert" (I drove a PMG mail van during a mail strike for a
few weeks) Rod Speed has ALL the information.  Just ask him. :P
He's an "expert" on everything.  Telecommunications, computers, electronics,
legal issues - you name it - he's your "expert".
Of course just don't ever dare to dispute or question anything he writes as
IHO (in HIS opinion) he's never wrong.
If you do disagree or ask him to back up his "facts" you are more than
likely to be subjected to a barrage of abuse.

For a taste of the Rod Bot rantings go here -
http://www.sensationbot.com/chat-rodspeed.html

Re: Foxtel IQ2

  Even I have proven woddles wrong quite easily
  not much to crow about though

Re: Foxtel IQ2

Roddly Doddly gets very upset when anyone does that.