Foxtel IQ2

I recently had IQ2 installed, and the installer put a filter on the line because I also have Bigpond cable internet, and I was wondering why the filter is necessary, or if it is really necessary. The filter is labelled: Telstra HPF80S High Pass Filter 85-1000 mhz. TIA.

Reply to
tj

tj wrote in news:h1h5en$3gp$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

You have a filter on there because your IQ is connected to the phone system. That is the way it updates the 'On Demand' and also how you order your 2 free movies per month.

If you have broadband, any appliance connected to the phone system needs a filter on it so's it doesn't interfere with the broadband/adsl signals.

If you have 3 phones throughout the house, a phone/fax, or even a fridge that is connected to the phone line/internet, you need filters on all of them.

I used to have a septic system that had it's own phone line (for the alarm system), and it played hell with my broadband till I (first) disconnected the phone line, and (second) got the septic company to put a filter on the line.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell peppers
nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the dregs of a
stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an ashtray. Not a bad
drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Reply to
PeterL

He said he has cable. The filter is to isolate the IQ "noise" from the audible vocal frequencies.

- KRudd at his finest.

"The Labour Party is corrupt beyond redemption!" - Labour hasbeen Mark Latham in a moment of honest clarity.

"This is the recession we had to have!" - Paul Keating explaining why he gave Australia another Labour recession.

"Silly old bugger!" - Well known ACTU pisspot and sometime Labour prime minister Bob Hawke responding to a pensioner who dared ask for more.

"By 1990, no child will live in poverty" - Bob Hawke again, desperate to win another election.

"A billion trees ..." - Borke, pissed as a newt again.

"Well may we say 'God save the Queen' because nothing will save the governor general!" - Egotistical s*****ad and pompous f****it E.G. Whitlam whining about his appointee for Governor General John Kerr.

Reply to
Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMo

They also connect to the phone line as well as the cable

Reply to
F Murtz

The filter is on the socket where the cable goes into.

Reply to
tj

So its not on the phone line?

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipvdBnU8F8
  - KRudd at his finest.

"The Labour Party is corrupt beyond redemption!"
  - Labour hasbeen Mark Latham in a moment of honest clarity.

"This is the recession we had to have!"
  - Paul Keating explaining why he gave Australia another Labour recession.

"Silly old bugger!"
  - Well known ACTU pisspot and sometime Labour prime minister Bob Hawke
responding to a pensioner who dared ask for more.

"By 1990, no child will live in poverty"
  - Bob Hawke again, desperate to win another election.

"A billion trees ..."
  - Borke, pissed as a newt again.

"Well may we say 'God save the Queen' because nothing will save the governor
general!"
  - Egotistical shithead and pompous fuckwit E.G. Whitlam whining about his
appointee for Governor General John Kerr.
Reply to
Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMo

Sounds like a load of shit to me!!!!!!!

Reply to
Mohamed Bin Liner

It's no use complaining, I'm sure he's undeterred.

Reply to
PaulR

You really don't have a clue do you?

The filter the OP is referring to has nothing to do with the phone line!

The high pass RF filter is used to prevent the upstream transmissions from cable modems below 50 MHz (there are a number of upstream channels in that range (e.g. at 34 and 39 MHz etc). Downstream cable modem channels are up in the 500 MHz band which cable modems receive on.

Foxtel DVB-C transmissions are in the 600-800MHz range (in 6MHz wide transmission channels).

The IQ2 unlike the other STB models however is particularly sensitive to spurious noise from nearby cable modem transmitters and isn't adequtely filtered internally. Hence why since early testing began it is official policy to install high pass filters on the RF input to block signals below 50MHz. The filter selected like the HFS80S specifies a low of 85 MHz but that just allows sufficient roll off to block the lower

Reply to
who is dat

who is dat wrote in news:4a3e3de2$0$22672$ snipped-for-privacy@exi-reader.telstra.net:

BFD.

I gave my opinion........ you could have shown that you were some sort of 'expert' with half a brain and just given your 'expert' opinion and ignored my post.

But no..... you have to try and big note yourself...... which just makes you (and the other two) out to be the cyber hugging no-friend techno geeks that you really are.

Next time, asshole, rather than assume that everyone spends their whole life like you with their noses buried in some electronics manual, think before you open your stupid mouth.

It *might* (and that is a very big might) just make you appear to be a half decent human being.

[Techno babble deleted]

Get a life man.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell
peppers nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the
dregs of a stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an
ashtray. Not a bad drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Reply to
PeterL

"Mohamed Bin Liner" wrote in news:tOm% l.20027$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

Something that I am quite sure you would be perfectly able to judge from taste and smell.

You eat shit a lot, don't you?

-- Peter Lucas Brisbane Australia

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell peppers nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the dregs of a stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an ashtray. Not a bad drink, though." Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous

Reply to
PeterL

PaulR wrote in news:4a3e0416$0$2590$ snipped-for-privacy@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

Hmmmmmmmmm. second place is the first loser..... you know that, right?

-- Peter Lucas Brisbane Australia

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell peppers nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the dregs of a stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an ashtray. Not a bad drink, though." Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous

Reply to
PeterL

Your info was just completely wrong. He had a right to point that out exactly as you do often if you find someone posting bullshit about some subject they know zilch about. You can sling the criticisms, but you can't take it. Hypocrite.

Oh the frigging irony. If you'd thought and read the original post properly you'd be the one to have kept your stupid mouth shut.

Nothing you've ever done on Usenet has ever shown you're even a human being, lucas, let alone even a half decent one.

LOL. Obviously too much for you to comprehend.

PKB.

--
Thomas
Reply to

:I recently had IQ2 installed, and the installer put a filter on the line :because I also have Bigpond cable internet, and I was wondering why the :filter is necessary, or if it is really necessary. The filter is :labelled: Telstra HPF80S High Pass Filter 85-1000 mhz. TIA.

See

Ross Herbert

"Rod Speed" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Into aus.tv.pay and aus.electronics it was.

-- Peter Lucas Brisbane Australia

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell peppers nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the dregs of a stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an ashtray. Not a bad drink, though." Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous

Reply to
PeterL

PeterL wrote

Pity about aus.comms f****it.

Never ever could bullshit and lie its way out of a wet paper bag.

No surprise that it got the bums rush, out onto its lard arse, time after time after time.

Reply to
Rod Speed

who is dat wrote in news:4a40ddc7$0$55198$ snipped-for-privacy@exi-reader.telstra.net:

The technician who installed my box *told me* that the box had to be left on so's that it could "update the software if needed and update On Demand content".

So...... a so called 'expert' gave me the wrong info.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a techno-geek, but if a so-called 'expert' gets it wrong, then I'd take any info given by the so called 'experts' in here with a pinch of salt.

There seems to be a lot of dribbling and techno babble without any real solutions.

You *ass* ume....... again.

*Especially* if you so called 'experts' see a chance to jump on someone who makes the tiniest mistake!!

I missed the word "cable"........ BFD, get off your high horse, build a bridge, and get over it.

Take your own advice.

As I stated previously..........

And yet, you didn't. You saw an opportunity to taunt, and you took it.

That speaks volumes for the sort of person you are in real life.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell
peppers nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the
dregs of a stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an
ashtray. Not a bad drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Reply to
PeterL

Yes. The BOX needs to be turned on so the tuner can receive the content from the On Demand feed channels. The software of the box is also updated with the software update data stream. There is absolutely no need to have the phone line connected to get On Demand content and software updates applied. You only need the phone line to order box office and PPV and even then you don't need to plug it in until you reach the spending cap that the card will store before it refuses to accept any more requests until it can transfer it's cached requests back to the server.

Nope, what he told you was completely correct in leaving the box on. It's the phone line that doesn't need to be left connected. A significant number of installations these days are not connected to the phone line and those customers are told that they will have to order PPV and box office from the Foxtel internet site rather than with their remote control.

I provided the correct answer to the OP. You're the one left talking about 'solutions' with your incorrect answers and tirade of abuse to others here.

Huh? Unlike you, when did I resort to childish name calling?

I didn't taunt. I corrected your clearly misleading information. Oh, and yes I am the sort of person in real life which isn't afraid of correcting someone who is spreading misinformation.

Reply to
who is dat

Your resident "expert" (I drove a PMG mail van during a mail strike for a few weeks) Rod Speed has ALL the information. Just ask him. :P He's an "expert" on everything. Telecommunications, computers, electronics, legal issues - you name it - he's your "expert". Of course just don't ever dare to dispute or question anything he writes as IHO (in HIS opinion) he's never wrong. If you do disagree or ask him to back up his "facts" you are more than likely to be subjected to a barrage of abuse.

For a taste of the Rod Bot rantings go here -

Alan Rutlidge