Installer

Does anybody know of linux installer for some embedded platform than
has no keyboard or display but has only serial port and ethernet?

Re: Installer

look for - google - something like
"linux boot loader"

Heinz
--

with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

   Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
Re: Installer

Thank you, but I'm looking for installer (e.g. Debian Installer,
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ ), not just boot loader
(e.g. RedBoot, http://sources.redhat.com/redboot/ ). More over, I'd
like to find an installer capable to install to a board without
display and keyboard, only containing ethernet and serial ports, (e.g.
EP80219 from Embedded Planet,
http://www.embeddedplanet.com/products/ep80219.asp ).

Thank you.

Re: Installer
The debian installer uses isolinux which is part of the syslinux
package. You probably need a boot image that has syslinux.cfg edited to
include the line:

serial 0 115200

or just

serial 0 9600

depending on your baud rate. You will also need to append to the kernel
command line the equivalent console=ttyS0,115200n8 type option.

After that I'd expect the installation to proceed just fine as long as
you pick english language. Serial install in unicode does not sound very
likely. ;-)

It's been a while since I've tried this. Here are some useful googled pages:

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/hackdi /
http://www.patoche.org/LTT/install/00000103.html <- old
http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2004-January/002957.html

Site Timeline