Can CHROME be installed?

Do you know a chance to install GOOGLE CHROME? Chromium does not work here.

Thank you

:-(

FW

Reply to
F. W.

chromium is as good as it gets

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can not sync for my login seems not to work.

FW

Reply to
F. W.

What "login"?

How do you know it is a problem with chromium?

You have given very little information about your problem.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

I presume logging in to their Google account in the browser for syncing bookmarks, history, etc. Which is different from logging into the Gmail, Google Apps, etc websites.

Google deliberately broke it in March.

The post at the bottom links to a workaround by inserting some API keys you can generate on Google Cloud Platform into a Chromium config file. It may or may not work!

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yes, AFAIK Goggle started preventing Chromium syncs in March last year. Here's a possible workaround:

I have no idea if that works. Not using Chrome or Chromium any more obviously.

As for running Chrome on the Pi, apparently some people have done it via x86 emulation since Google doesn't provide a binary for the Pi. Something to maybe play with. There was even a commercial product, "Exagear Desktop", which was apparently a convenient package to setup x86 emulation on a Pi and run x86 apps. Curiously, an example mentioned was video services with DRM support present in Chrome but not Chromium. It seems to me this would be hopelessly slow or only work at very low resolutions.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

What sort of performance penalty do you tend to see when emulating x86 on the pi?

-Nigel

Reply to
randon

What do expect from such a small & limited computer compared almost any x86? Everything slowing to a crawl.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Which Pi Which x86 ? Any Pi will easily outperform a 16MHz 80386 under emulation at the other extreme I'd expect at least two orders of magnitude between the best Pi4 emulation and the fastest current x86 based, multi-core, server targeted room heater.

If it matters measure it for real, there will be far too many factors for meaningful predictions.

Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

I have the Twister OS running on a Raspberry Pi 400, and running PlanePlotter (x86 Windows software). I've not made any formal performance comparisons but my impression is that it is noticeably slower than a 5-year old (nominally) x86 PC. PlanePlotter is a relatively lightweight program which doesn't need anything more than Windows XP, so possibly the degradation with a complex Windows-10 program would be considerably more.

Try it and see - you just need a spare SD card!

David Taylor

An alternative is Virtual Radar

its a .NET application which will run happily under Mono on a Linux Raspberry Pi. I'm using it alongside piaware on a 3B+ in the attic, connected to an ADSB dongle and fairly decent antenna.

---druck

Reply to
druck

On a sunny day (Thu, 6 Jan 2022 14:38:28 +0000) it happened druck snipped-for-privacy@druck.org.uk> wrote in <sr6ut4$bdv$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Oh planes? Wrote my own, running as server on an old Pi 1

rtl-sdr stick, 15 cm indoor antenna Just uses dump1090 and plot its output on the local map. Does ships too if antenna connected
calculates firing parameters... Very old version here:
do a lot more.. air pressure, storm warnings, temperature, humidity, GPS, CO. output logged 24/7 on an other Pi 4.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thanks, I'm aware of that program, but PlanePlotter and its central server is my preferred arrangement. I'm using PlanePlotter on a Windows PC with The Beast receiver, although I've also tested with other hardware including Airspy and RTL dongle with dump1090. Your input to PlanePlotter would be most welcome. I also feed the usual commercial servers.

In my reply I was just reporting on how well an x86/Windows software runs under ARM/RPi/Linux.

Reply to
David Taylor

I've had a quick look at your website, and there is a lot of really interesting stuff on there which I'll have a look at more closely.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Having recently acquired a pied-à-terre by the coast, I was thinking of setting up a second ADS-B receiver, and as we back on to the marina, tracking boats would be interesting too.

I'm sure that would get me into trouble!

---druck

Reply to
druck

Am Dienstag, 04. Januar 2022, um 11:49:08 Uhr schrieb F. W.:

Here

Google only provides amd64 builds, so there is no direct way from Google to get ARM packages for Raspberry Pi.

Reply to
Marco Moock

says Google deliberately broke it in March.

Theo is right.

So I switched on all my machines to Firefox.

FW

Reply to
F. W.