Anybody out there?

Hello,

As I didn't want to waste my time with a silly test message on an empty forum, I decided to head up finding people who are using these computer toys.

I have a RPi2 lying here and doing nothing but taking dust... Many projects are described and that's really cool... But as for the OS, sorry, Ubuntu Mate is overbloated with useless things, but works out of the box, even WPA access to hidden WLAN APs with SSIDs! Openelec and OSmc are unable to automatically detect any UPnP/DAAP server (bonjour activated on it) on the network, the other 2 ones are only time wasting tricky-tweaky ditros that run well on on Intel/AMD based hardware, but only devellopped for ARM V6 and not yet for ARM V7...

A little bit frustrating isn't it?

So I hoped getting an easy tune up with Raspbian... Not even able to get the USB WLAN dongle that came with the RPi2, work correctly, as it worked out of the box under Ubuntu... And to get the full HD video support you have to pay extra bucks for the driver??? No sorry that's too much for me. I'm the uncomplaining and coolkeeping one but there are limits!!!

OK NAS4Free is a good and simple project to make a little NAS with some complementary features, out of a RPi or an ODROID. But don't expect lightning performances.

The RPi or even the RPi2 as a full featured computer... You can forget it! The RPi2 with Ubuntu Mate is slower than my P III 800MHz 512MB RAM (Dell GX110) running Mageia... OK wrong example... Perhaps.

Another way to make it usefull: CUPS printserver, SaneD scanning server.

well let's see...

--

Ciao @+

< Sony VGN-FW54M powered by Mageia 4 x86-64 >
Reply to
F8BOE

F8BOE wrote: [useless rant deleted]

You can also use it for amateur radio purposes, like amateur radio networking (AMPRnet/HAMNET), APRS, simple SDR applications, a repeater controller, a beacon transmitter, etc.

Reply to
Rob

[]

I use Raspbian exclusively for the OS (it's designed for thr RPi, after all) and I've made a number of projects including using the RTL USB sticks for receiving various signal types:

and for monitoring some central heating.

--
Cheers,
David GM8ARV

They are toys, but they are also being used daily in industrial applications. The compute board is testament to that.

Not really.

No idea what you're on about. My Pi's play full HD video without paying for any extra codecs/drivers. There are additional codecs you can purchase but for playing HD you don't need them.

The Pi wasn't really designed as a desktop replacement, although I know some people who are succesfully using it as just that. It's a little stand-alone computer capable of doing what's neccessarry to allow what it was designed for - to teach software/program development. Everything else is a bonus.

I'm using them to control ovens, fridges, laser cutters and I've helped others to use them to control robots, cars, helicopters, telephone systems, home automation, chicken farm automation (100,000 chickens) Limited only by your imagination.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Wifi worked fine on min with a generic Wifi dongle. did you use a raspian image or Noobs?

both)they are a little expensive ;-)

--
It isn't easy being a Friday kind of person in a Monday kind of world.
Reply to

Is this the unknown dog trolling again?

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

Looks like it, or something very similar.

Reply to
Rob Morley

The CODEC fee is a license required by the developers of the CODEC and has nothing to do with the rPi. They could have just not developed that particular CODEC at all. You would still be able to view HD, just not in that format.

--

Rick
Reply to

No; dog trolling is a very fixed style. This has none of the give away indications that it is dog/unknown/no.top.post or Chris Glurr to give him his real name.

It's some sad French ham who seems to be unable to get the standard Pi stuff to work. More time reading the destructions and learning how it's meant to work and less time trolling from a position of failure would be my advice.

In fact as trolling goes, it's very piss-poor. Please try harder next time.

Reply to
mm0fmf

you may have missed my sarcasm,

Pi's & mey well get them for the 3rd just in case.

--
The gates in my computer are AND, OR and NOT; they are not Bill.
Reply to

Yeah, sorry, the sarcasm went over my head.

Is the license coded to a serial number on the pi in any way? What's to stop the world from sharing one license? Honesty?

--

Rick
Reply to

People dislike what they perceive as trolling. But often the responses are just as bad. Most people know the best way to deal with trolling is to ignore it.... even though it is easier to say than to do.

--

Rick
Reply to

That and the fact that you put something like decode_MPG2=0x788a80f3 decode_WVC1=0x6604c1a7

in /boot/cmdline.txt

The number is calculated from your serialnumber you get from /proc/cpuinfo

so the license is tied via a hardware key

Bu you only need it to play mpeg2 movies - ie dvds. and whatever is encoded with vc1.

divx/xvid/mkv etc does not need the license

Björn Lundin

I've got one controlling my central heating and hot water.

Accessible over the Internet, too.

My OS of choice is RISC OS.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Higton

And to playback dvb-t (terrestrial digital video broadcasting) in my area

Reply to
Stefan Enzinger

You can still play MPEGs, but with software decoding rather than hardware acceleration that the licence gives you. So a Pi1 might struggle with anything sizeable, a Pi2 should manage.

---druck

Reply to
druck

I have been grown up with zx81, cpc64, commodores c64, amigas and all that stuff. Yes they was full fetured computers which have done a lot of work. Even the first PCs on 8088 or 8086 Basis have done a lot of work and would be still able to do most of the buisness nowerdays. That people get so stupid and lost there imagination so far that they need for every small shit a graphical help is a pitty. Up til now nobody could tell me why I need for EMail, Calculations, Texting or similar things a graphical System. Infact with a Standardeditor and a bit of Tex I am finished in a tenth of the time. Yes I am now using a full featured computer with all the shiny things just for fun. But I am working in the embedded computing area and trust me what we are doing with hardware which is even less powerfull than the raspberry is astonishing. 2018 we will start a programm to launsch 900 satelittes to put cheap internet all over the world. Each satelitte must be below 50Kg and have a powerconsumption below 20W. That is a call for embedded computing. :-)

Ciao Nobbe

Reply to
Norbert Möndjen

+1000 A PDP/11 could have been outperformed by an 8086 with 128Mbyte of RAM if it had had Unix on it...

And IIRC those PDPS are still there controlling all sorts of industrial kit.

I DO need graphics to do graphic design and so on, but frankly the rest could easily be done better on a text screen.

Where I run out of CPU is playing 3D games and transcoding videos. That's all.

And this is not a powerful machine at all.

--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.

I think that is a bit of a stretch. The last PDP11 I saw was on a piece of electronic assembly equipment going to the dump some 10 years ago.

--

Rick
Reply to

Wasn't it air traffic control or something that still ran on them? Oh, no. They were ditched a couple of years back.

Its nuclear power stations!