I'm must be a loser

I got a summons for jury duty. I responded by email saying it would be a hardship because my wife and I are self employed, and the 70+ hours she would need to work is a hardship, yada, yada, yada. I got back by email a letter saying that work doesn't fit the statute, and I would need to appear. I made a second stab at it, although I bounced 4 emails before finding an address in the office that somehow got it to the right person. In the second attempt I repeated what I said and added that I have performed jury service three times previously including the rape of a handicapped women and an entry and theft of a convenience store, where the defendant returned three times to steal more stuff, the third time realizing it had a pharmacy, they broke in and stole drugs. We had special instructions because one of the witness's was a heroin addict. I also pointed out we found them guilty. I added I expect to retire in March of 2017, at that time I would be very happy to serve on a jury. This second attempt made it to the judge, he is allowing me to pick a date in 2015 for my jury service. I wrote back: I'll see you on the Nov 3rd. I'll be the unhappy one, cause if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Mikek :-)

amdx

As a sole proprietorship you should be able to get an exemption... I have in the past.

But occasionally the excuse was refused.

So I show up, mutter, "Hang the bastard", and I'm excused >:-}

Now I'm excused because of my hearing impairment... just say, "Huh?" a few times ;-) ...Jim Thompson

That's the sort of thing that varies from state to state, and possibly judge to judge. It may be worth asking a local attorney how to word things.

I've only had to report for jury duty once, and then I just needed to sit around reading until jury selection. I think I was number 15 out of 13 selected.

I'll have to remember that one. I don't have hearing aids, but unless people enunciate clearly, I can't hear WTF is going on.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

That muttering works UNTIL the judge gave a list of 'ifs' "If you mutter hang the bastard, I will fine you for contempt." etc. ...and it was a LONG list.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I was being exuberant there... you don't actually say that, just imply it when the defendant's attorney is questioning you. ...Jim Thompson

Enunciation problems were what occurred to me first, then full muddiness :-(

Arizona has an absolute right to refuse at age 75... 4 months to go

...Jim Thompson

They wouldn't want be right now. I sleep about two hours a night. I wake up screaming in pain from an ulcer on my leg, and I am in a very nasty mood.

I finally got the prescription thigh highs from the VA after five years, and a renewal for my expired handicap parking after a year. The VA 'doctor' tried to push a temporary permit off on me, telling me, You're only 62, you might get better some day. I told her off, and told her to look at my medical history starting with the bad left knee, and that my left hand goes numb. Then I told her that I had to stop four times between the parking lot, and the Primary Care check in to catch my breath.

After seven years, they are finally concerned about the damage to my leg. I Guess that word has trickled down about the official complaints I filed against her and the clinic with the director of another VA clinic and my local US Representative at a Veteran's conference a few months ago.

The few times I've managed to doze off for a nap I have some Indian asshole calls, claiming to be from Microsoft. It's a good thing that that scam isn't door to door, I'd soon run out of places to plant them.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Don't ask if it applies to judges and lawyers if they ask if you believe in the death penalty. They have NO sense of humor!

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I had the same hardship problem recenty and the first response was the same as theirs for you.... Gotta come in...

So when picking jurors, the judge asks for reasons people cannot serve. Finally the hardship questions was asked. Just use that opportunity to state your hardhip case and if there are enough possible jurors, the excuse should be granted, usually.

boB

Reply to
boB

Hyperbaric chamber? Mom says they work wonders on diabetic ulcers. Also, might be worth trying LEDs, or both, e.g.

Caveat emptor.

[...]

Some of my ancestors, 'indians,' used to plant fish with the corn. Your plan has a certain symmetry to it.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I never try to escape jury duty. As the white male engineer, I also never get picked.

Lawyers don't like engineers. They don't want analytical people. Rather the lawyers want people who can be swayed by emotion.

Reply to
miso

I got out of jury duty on a criminal case by telling the judge when I see smoke there must be a fire, and the defendant's attorney dismissed me. But last time I had nothing to do and wanted the job and was selected for a 12 day civil case. They don't dismiss many for civil cases since most are qualified. I made a couple hundred at 18 bucks a day and packed my own lunch and rode the bus to save more. The plaintiff wanted 300K and we gave him nothing.

Bill Bowden

I have a guaranteed exclusion there... I believe in torture >:-} ...Jim Thompson

I was called to be on a federal jury a while back. I was in the second group seated, after they'd thrown half out. The attorney (can't remember which one) asked the new folks, "after hearing the other questions, is there any reason you shouldn't be on this jury?. I raised my hand and when asked why I shouldn't be on the jury I said that he didn't want me to tell him in open court. That pissed 'em all off but I wouldn't answer until the judge called us all before him. I told them the name of the sting, the plaintiff, the city he came from, and half the people caught up in it. They asked how I knew so much about the issue and I said that I was the local town highway supervisor's campaign manager (no, he had just started his term ;-). I had paid attention to the case because it made good material to bust the friend's chops ("you're just pissed because you didn't get a piece of the action..."). They told me to leave the room immediately. They were still pissed at me but I could have polluted the entire jury pool.

Reply to
krw

For a while, I used my Mail Boxes Etc.. pseudo "PO Box" that was in the adj acent county, and only a few miles from home.

The adjacent county had better taxes, more favorable business licensing (an d the company was actually located in that county at the time, BTW).

Anyway, if you play it right, you can dodge your civic responsibilities by saying, truthfully, that you don't live in that county. Or at least you us ed to be able to claim that here. They've since closed that loophole by se lecting juror pools from drivers licenses and not simply registered voters, so it's a bit harder to pull off (and still be able to vote).

The gist is the same though: Multiple addresses come in handy sometimes. Including for some very legitimate reasons.

Luckily, the last couple times I was on the hook for jury duty, the Courts had no cases those weeks. I guess the automated attendant system runs asyc hronously to the Court's actual schedule. You don't even have to go down t o the Courthouse; just call the number each morning. I'm off the hook now for at least another year or so.

I am thinking / feeling the jig is up next time, though. It's been more than 10 years since I was last unable to weasle out of it.

Reply to
mpm

They do throw people off civil juries too. They don't want people who think for themselves, rather people who "feel" and follow directions (IOW, lefties).

Reply to
krw

Well, actually, I felt sorry for the guy and wanted to give him a few bucks, but I was outvoted 11 to:1. The plaintiff was suing the city for 300K so you would think a bunch of lefties would give the little guy the whole thing, since the city is a deep pocket, but his whole argument was BS and nobody bought it..

Bill Bowden

Believe? I INSIST on it!

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I just started a course of Antibiotics, and am supposed to go to the VA wound clinic as soon as there is an opening.

Wrong indians. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why do you want to avoid jury duty ? I would never try to gt out of it, I W ANT to do it. I won't right here and now becaause I ain't registered to vot e this year, but oh well. in fact I thinik they should go out there and fin d non-registered people for juries. "TAG, you're it !".

In facct that's about how it should be right ? Random ? Only getting regist ered votersa is not random.

Reply to
jurb6006