Water damage on a Toshiba 50A61 TV

Water dripped down the back of the tv, got all the cables, etc. wet while the tv was turned on. The colors started going off and then it started changing back and forth between different inputs on its own. Finally the picture went out and there was just random images on the screen before the guys watching it noticed the water. It's been dried off but now when it's plugged in and turned on, it doesn't show and image and no sound comes through. I took the back cover off and looked around. There's no obvious burned marks and all the fuses I can see are intact. There is a slight whining noise coming from the transformers on the back of the main board. Not sure if that's normal though. I turned the lights off and there's no sparking and the bottom of the 3 projectors were glowing slightly.

Any ideas what could be the problem, what to check, best repair options, etc? Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Reply to
evan15342

That one is gonna need an experienced tech to look at, water damage can do all sorts of random things that may take some effort to track down.

Reply to
James Sweet

Its going to need an experienced tech with the service manuals and proper tools to trouble-shoot it. Most likely there will be many problems, going from past experience. You can take the set in for an estimate.

I would Strongly consider a new set. Your set will most likely be expensive to service. An estimate would reveal verify this.

Jerry G,

Reply to
Jerry G.

This is or was a projection TV? The fact that it was run while some components were wet could have caused significant damage. Especially in the HV areas. (the whining transformers) as above could be expensive. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

Reply to
Art