RCA Projection TV - POWER ON??????

We have a large home theater RCA projection TV model P61939 that we have had for several years and never had a single issue with. We use it for our TV and some video games. Last night we watched Monday Night Football until late at night and powered it off as normal. This evening we went to power it on with the remote and nothing came on, no picture, no sound, nothing. Tried the switches on the front and still nothing. We have it plugged into a good surge supressor power stip and we powered this off, then back on. When we powered it back on, we got a quick burp sound from the speakers of the TV, but still nothing. Left it off for a while and then turned it back on, still nothing.

Now this beast of a TV who has served us so well now sits idle in the corner of the room. We were looking at buying a new TV down the road, but in these times we were wanting to put that off as long as possible and the picture on this was always excellent.

So we'd like to know if there's anything anyone might suggest that might breath life back into our living room companion. Anything that might be a way to figure out what's wrong without incurring some major repair bill as a 61" TV isn't something you throw in the car and take to the repair shop.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Reply to
infiniteMPG

If you are familiar with troubleshooting this type of TV, you need to start with the power supply. Check voltages and post back here what you find. Otherwise... Chances are one or more components in the power supply have failed. Try to find a competent local repair shop based on reccomendations. The TV should not need to be removed from the home to repair it. A good technician should be able to diagnose and replace the defective components. Often the entire inner chassis will be removed and brought back to the repair shop and the outer cabinet left in the home. Diagnosis takes time and skill so expect to pay for a repair estimate. Most shops will include this in the cost of the repair if you accept the estimate. Depending on the parts and labor required to repair the TV expect to pay at least several hundred dollars (if in the USA) for the repair. Good luck.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

least several hundred dollars (if in the USA) for the repair. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Actually bought the TV on Ebay about 5 years or so ago for about $500 so doubt I'll put that much effort into it. Have been looking at upgrading to LCD HD but just haven't gotten around to it and didn't want to spend the $$$. But if it's a long debug and hundred$ to fix, probably not worth the effort :O( sadly

Reply to
infiniteMPG

y at least several hundred dollars...

Don't start with 'long debug and hundred$', that's silly. It's a POWER problem, open the sucker and look for the fuse. If something is burned in half, or if there's a big red RESET button, this can be a ten minute diagnose/fix. Steer clear of the high voltage parts, but reseating connectors in case they just got loose is also worthwhile.

A repair shop will have to charge hundreds, but that's what you paid for the TV in the first place, so it IS worth that much.

Reply to
whit3rd

Don't start with 'long debug and hundred$', that's silly. It's a POWER problem, open the sucker and look for the fuse. If something is burned in half, or if there's a big red RESET button, this can be a ten minute diagnose/fix. Steer clear of the high voltage parts, but reseating connectors in case they just got loose is also worthwhile.

A repair shop will have to charge hundreds, but that's what you paid for the TV in the first place, so it IS worth that much.

I highly doubt that it is just a blown fuse as you suggest. Things rarely blow fuses for no reason, well, aside from LCD inverters. You can make things much worse if the fuse is blown and you just throw another one in there and power it up. I guess it doesn't really matter if the OP plans to trash it, but I wouldn't think thats going to solve anything.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Okay, here's a bit more in this mystery.... I disconnected everything on the RCA projection TV model P61939 and shoved it off in the corner, thinking about selling for parts. Sat for a week or so and when I went to check it out and maybe break it down, just for chuckles I plugged it in, hit the power button and WOW... it turned on and worked perfectly!!!! HUH????? So I hung on to it and in rearranging the house, I decided it might of been some overload that needed to discharge and maybe it was okay now.

So it got put in a new spot and plugged in, worked fine, and figured I'd set it up for video games when the kids visited. So there it sat for a week, plugged in but not being turned on. Today I went out and was thinking about hooking up a video game and get it set up for a weekend visit, but when I hit the power button... NOTHING!!! Huh???? So it worked for years, then it didn't work at all. Then it sat idle for a week and when it got plugged in, it worked again. Now it's been plugged in for a week, tried to power it up, and nothing (again).

I did notice when I unplugged it and then plugged it back in, there was a pretty decent power arc on the plug going in to the wall like it was drawing power right from the plug being plugged in.

So does this narrow down what it could be? I'm at the point right now when I'd kind of prefer to fix 'er up and set it up as a dedicated video game display.

All thanks for suggestions and fixes.

Reply to
infiniteMPG