UK / USA Tool Terminology Translator

I can never find a translation file for converting commonly used terms for tools and equipment in the UK for the equivalent term used in the USA , or vice versa, often involves trade names. This is my start - please reply adding others or any possible errors

UK term : USA term

Allen Key : Hex key Avo (meter) , [old analogue multimeter ] : ? earth [voltage reference] : ground enameled copper wire : magnet wire Gilbows : tinsnips Hellerman pliers ,(triple prong sleeving expanders) : ? mains (power) [electricity supply company power feed ] : line (power) Mole grips : lock jaw pliers, vice grips plug in power supply : wall wart spanner : wrench scope (oscilloscope) : o'scope screwdriver : driver ? Stilsons : pipewrench thou (measurement, 1/1000 of an inch) : mil

N Cook

a few more

UK : USA

answerphone : answering machine billion : million million ( the USA usage has now taken over generally in the uk of 1 billion = 1000 million) (the) box, telly : television (set) flex : electric cord imperial (measurements ) : inches,feet,yards,miles metric (measurements) : European power point : electric socket Stanley knife : box cutter ? thousand million : billion ( the USA usage has taken over generally in the uk of 1 billion = 1000 million) valve : tube Vero board : matrix board video : vcr (machine) white goods : appliances wireless : radio

I forget now whether RCA connectors translate to phono or coax connectors here. And going the other way, Do Harwin,QM,SMA,BNC,PL259, "N" , "F" connectors etc make any sense in USA ?

While at it is there any concensus with connector parts and male and female / plug and socket. Does the gender refer to the electrical pin connection parts or the outer housing parts when they are not the same gender for each piece?

Reply to
N Cook

What about the Knockometer ..

Reply to
kip

never heard of it but i assume what we call an engineer's persuader for percussive maintenance, usefully they come in a range of sizes

N Cook

What? I'm from the USA and I've always thought of a billion as 1000 million. I've only vaguely heard of 1 billion being 1 million million. I don't know anyone who thinks billion is anything but 1000 million personally.

--buddy

Reply to
Buddy Smith

how about Weapons of mass destruction = Oil we wish to take control of

--
Marcus

I like people, they are bio-degradable !.
Reply to
Marcus

Buddy: You are correct.... math is math any where in the universe...... and a Billion = 1,000,000,000 which is exactly the equivalent to 1000 million or 1000 x 1,000,000 .....it can not be anything else and be correct.

- - - - - - - - - - -

in

Reply to
sofie

in

Up to perhaps about 10 or 20 years ago most people in the UK would have said billion = million million

Reply to
N Cook

Its 1000 million = 1billion..

yikes e do

Reply to
kip

Then they would have said wrong ... Out of curiosity, in your opinion was this out of a different definition for the word "billion" or were they just ignorant?

Bob

said

Reply to
Bob Shuman

What does it list for "trillion" ?

million

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I've ust looked in a UK dictionary published in 1960 billion = million million except USA and France where billion = 1000 million

Reply to
N Cook

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:18:48 -0500, "kip" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Knockometer = hammer = American screwdriver

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

trillion = million million million except France where it means million million , no mention of USA.

Reply to
N Cook

There are two systems of naming large numbers ( sometimes called long scale and short scale ) both of which originated in France and are still in use today. They are described at this site:

As mentioned on this page the UK officially switched from billion = million million to billion = thousand million in the mid 1970s.

Mike Capel

capel AT mts DOT net

Reply to
ianto

Thanks. Now I can understand why billion was a million million. The prefix (bi) meant million **2 (squared0 while tri meant million **3 (cubed). Interestingly, the number 1,000,000,000 was called "a thousand million or milliard" according to the site provided in the former English system.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I realized that I misread his post, which is why I cancelled mine. He was saying that 1 billion in the UK is (or at least used to be) 1 million million, which is correct.

--buddy

Reply to
Buddy Smith

allen key: we use both allen wrench and hex key avo: if it's a tube type, here it's a VTVM (vacuum tube voltmeter; usually line-powered) or a VOM (volt-ohmmeter; usually battery-powered) earth: we use that term as well as ground Hellerman: groove joint; slip-lock (I think that's what u had in mind?) mains: we use both mains and line plug-in power supply: we also call it an ac adapter scope: we use all 3; or if we're feeling particularly elitist, a 'waveform analyzer' screwdriver: same (to distinguish from other drivers, such as nutdrivers)

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

billion: a million million is a trillion, period.. or it should be anyway. Check this out:

flex: here, someone might mistake it to mean an elastic band or a bungee cord valve: we use that term here as well, particularly if you're talking to tube amp lovers wireless: careful, as lots of Americans call their cellphones 'wireless'

RCA = phono; coax = F, UHF, BNC, etc..

QM: IDC or mini-IDC SMA: 50-ohm MIL-C; AMP (Amphenol) C; ILS SMA BNC: same PL259: UHF N: RF (RG-8, RG-58, RG-141, RG-225) F: most Americans will know you mean TV cable coax

Pretty much a consensus. For obvious reasons, Male = plug and Female = socket (usually called 'jack' in USA).

Good luck with your lexicon, Ray

Reply to
Ray L. Volts