UK / USA Tool Terminology Translator

Any old fuse... in Britain is that still named ... a mains monitor?

Reply to
Do Little2

What??? In the USA a N connector is called an N connector..

RG-8, RG-58, RG-141, RG-225 These are all cable sizes not connectors.

Mike in Florida

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

never heard the term wall wart before I found this forum : ) I guess it is a northern US term since I live in Floirda.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

er, yes... it was meant to convey what the N connector is generally used on, and hence how Americans would readily identify it...

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

okay.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

outer

If the housing is male but the electical connection is female and the mating housing is female and corresponding electrical part is male which part would be refered to as male and which female.

Do I hear you correctly that in USA the receiving female part is called a Jack ? In the UK jack is quite definitely male as more generally "in to jack off" and "one-eyed jacks" etc

Reply to
N Cook

revised list UK term : USA term

Allen Key : hex key , hex wrench answerphone : answering machine Avo (meter) , [old analogue multimeter ] : VTVM (vacuum tube voltmeter; usually line-powered) or a VOM (volt-ohmmeter; usually battery-powered) banana plugs : ? billion (before year 1974 ) : million million (the) box, telly : television (set) choc block connectors : ? earth [voltage reference] : ground elastic band, bungee cord : flex enameled copper wire : magnet wire engineer's persuader for percussive maintenance : knockometer flex : electric cord Gilbows : tinsnips Harwin connectors : ? Hellerman pliers ,(triple prong sleeving expanders) : ? imperial (measurements ) : inches,feet,yards,miles mains (power) [electricity supply company power feed ] : line (power) maths (mathematics ) : math metric (measurements) : European Mole grips : lock jaw pliers, vice grips plug in power supply : wall wart power point : electric socket QM connectors : ? phono connectors : RCA connectors spanner : wrench scope (oscilloscope) : o'scope , waveform analyser Stanley knife : box cutter Stilsons : pipewrench thou : mil (measurement) trillion (before 1974 ? ) : million million million valve : tube Vero board : matrix board video : vcr (machine) white goods : appliances wireless : radio

A few synonyms of sort Low Copper, High Oxygen Content Connection = High Impedence Air Gap = unplugged

Reply to
N Cook

i've never heard of that one

Reply to
N Cook

IHVT (Flyback Transformer) =

Reply to
kip

do you mean LOPT ?

Reply to
N Cook

yes

Reply to
kip

LOPT = Line Output Transformer pronounced comfortably as Lop-tee

Reply to
N Cook

I'm thinking of the Bulgin power connectors used on valve/tube amps where the chassis housing is female but has 3 pins mating with 3 sockets in a male housing on the line cord - is the line cord connector called a plug or a socket ?

Reply to
N Cook

Once this is in a semi-final form, I'd like to add it to the S.E.R. FAQ (with your permission).

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

How about hang it in your arse?

Reply to
CRaSH

(with

is

No copyright so open to anyone. Should be on

from tomorrow. Oddly, that dial up hosting site freeserve / fsnet does not seem to have any bandwidth constraints , re SER FAQ bandwidth problems

N Cook

Agree.. It is terrible we were lied to like that and even more so that we re-elected bush. I feel his re-election was more because we were scared of what might happen if bush wern't in office.. I like bush for having some morals, but he lacks some judgement. Or maybe he is just a big liar? Maybe not? I can not judge the man. I don't know him. Either way we are screwed. We should have left those people alone a long time ago. america world police. we think we have to fix everything. Oh well doesn't matter. cant do anything about it now.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

plug in power supply : wall wart : adapter : transformer

Couldn't LOPT be Line Output Transistor also? I thought they were just called a Flyback.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Reply to
Michael Kennedy