UK / USA Tool Terminology Translator

Ah, SRBP (Something Resin Bonded Paper) board! Now I remember! Some of the items I listed (Veroboard, Tripad, VQ) are "SRPB Copper Matrix board" for their generic name.

Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Reply to
Mike

AVO refers to a range of products, but has come to be generically used for an analogue meter by some people.

Like "I googled it ..." and many other examples.

Not to be confused with historical UK "GPO": General Post Office (Now Royal Mail/Post Office Counters Ltd/British Telecom separate entities)

Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Reply to
Mike

Could someone tell me what "decals" translate as ? Logos, legends, labels, overlays, printing?

N Cook

If you are refering to the waterslide stickers used on model kits and the like, here in britain they are called transfers. Adhesive backed ones are called stickers or decals. (from Decalomania I believe)

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system

Transfers? (that's what they were known as in the UK 40 years ago, but times change) :-).

Haggis.

Reply to
Haggis

times

perhaps stickers or even signs

Reply to
N Cook

For model kits: The moisture-activated ones are "waterslide decals" or simply decals in the states. If they are the kind one burnishes on, we know them as "dry transfers". No idea why we don't call them dry decals, but I never hear that term here.

For other uses: General-purpose, self-adhesive (peel-back) ones are most often called stickers. For sports helmets (and other equipment), the stickers are usually referred to as decals. Iron-ons are generally called transfers. The only other moisture-activated types I know of are postal stamps (older) and temporary tattoos (there's even a special inkjet paper for this).

Reply to
Ray L. Volts