VCR terminology

Not just VCR presumably but this mechanism is in a VCR. A plastic latch mechanism on the end of some slide bars that is delatched when a motor is spun up with a small "star" cog on the shaft, latch engages region of "star" when not spinning. While at it I ask every now and then if anyone knows of a UK/USA tool terminology translation file Allen key / hex key spanner / wrench mole grips / lock jaw pliers etc

N Cook

I think each manufacturer has a different name for the same parts sometimes. Some manufacturers might call a certain part a gear while others will call it an idler. Some will call a part a brake while another might call it a felt pad...etc.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

mole grips / lock jaw pliers etc / Vice Grips ?

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

What are Stilsons or Gilbows or other trade name tools called in USA. ? Other than sexually explicit nicknames are Hellerman pliers called the same in USA ?

Reply to
N Cook

same

---------

Gilbows = tinsnips Stilsons = pipewrench

Reply to
sofie

wow. I would have never guessed either of those.. Those european names dont give themselves away.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

dont

Gilbows tinsnips Stilsons pipewrench Putting such sets of words in a search engine never turns up a "translation" file But always putting such themed words as bumper fender hood bonnet pavement sidewalk turns up dozens like

N Cook

?

the

"translation"

As its the second or third time I've asked here and search engine checked and found nothing, i think i'll start such a file. Does anyone else have any USA/UK paired tool names including elecrixcal/electronic test gear terms ? eg I've no idea if the term as using "an Avo" means anything across the pond

N Cook