Logic Level Translator

There was a series of posts in the past few weeks concerning translating a 3.3V logic level into 5V logic.

I have posted here...

the basic concepts, and also created a simulation mockup using the venerable CD4007.

This structure consumes no static power other than leakage.

There is some "kinkiness" in the waveforms. I don't know if it's due to the long channel-length of the CD4007 devices or the VERY poor device models (Level=1 and Level=2 was all I could find).

I've done this trick quite successfully on custom chips where I could scale the devices to suit my needs.

Maybe someone will construct this with a CD4007 and report back?

(Beware, wire exactly as shown... pin 14 must go to +5V to prevent tub/body diode conduction.)

...Jim Thompson

It consumes the whole CD4007, since the associated N-channel devices are tied off.

I was just demonstrating the principle.

Have fun ;-) (Analog or digital?)

...Jim Thompson

Of how a logic level translator is designed.

Can't you read?

...Jim Thompson

Which was???
Reply to
John Fields

[snip]

The "kinkiness" comes from lack of gain in the feedback. Change

74HC04 to 74HC14 and it becomes letter perfect.

I'm still refining it, but you can also do a similar (more current consumptive) trick using a single 74HC14 wrapped around with a PNP current mirror. Consumes current rather than being zero at the end states, but it's cheap on parts.

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

But this consumes a good half of the chip for just one data line.

There I could see it. You don't have to sacrifice another SO or TSSOP package there.

I usually do it discrete. I'd try anyways but have to do some math right now. Filter algorithms ... blech...

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

Digital this time which is why it's not that much fun. The real disappointment came when I happily perused today's offerings of DSP and found out that the ones with 16bit codecs on board have gone AWOL. So now I'll have to figure out how to schlepp 14-15 rather unorthodox single-bin DFTs through a uC or bite the bullet and use a TMS320 plus external ADC. These DFTs can't all have the same sampling frequency which makes it even less fun with an off-chip ADC. This is also why FFT wouldn't work here. The other challenge in this project is that the classical and expensive DSP books here on the shelf fall quite silent when it comes to weird filters.

The good news is that the uC world has made much more progress than DSP since I last used one. You can get 16 bitters with hardware multipliers for under $5 a pop. And you don't have to spoon-feed them their code from an EPROM anymore. Nice.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

[snip]

The latest version is here...

Much simpler, easily adjustable thresholds.

...Jim Thompson

Further improved at...

Thresholds centered up around 3.3V/2 and hysteresis narrowed.

QED ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Why can't you see this (and others you've posted) documents when I go to

and then select the SED link?

I prefer to download PDFs then open them rather than doing that in a browser.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

I can link them into the SED cover page if you like. I tend to link only circuits that should be of more universal interest.

Can't you set your browser to download rather than open? In Firefox you can.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Thanks. Didn't know that was an option in Firefox. Set that way now.

Robert

Reply to
Robert