Solder sniffers beware,,, lead = bad

Rosin has Zinc Chloride in it... I've been poisoned with zinc before (welding) and you need to drink milk for the chelating calcium in it. Bad sick headache... not sure of prolonged low-level exposure, but fume hoods are nice. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

"MassiveProng" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Decades, eh? Guess the median age of the equipment we work on in AGA... __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Dave Moore: Soldering takes place at much too low temperature for solder to vaporize and fume. Most "lead" problems are a result of poor hygiene..... not washing your hands after handling circuit board and solder and BEFORE you handle food, pick your nose or your teeth or chew on your finger nails. Daniel Sofie

Reply to
Sofie

Has your wife been making "special health drinks" for you recently?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I've done some research on this as well. Any heavy metal poisoning will eventually find its way to the nervous system. Once there it will stay and not be detectable in a blood test. So you have to go with other diagnostic methods. The chelating materials will help over a long time but metals are like sand in your shoes. You will never get rid of it completely.

When I was about 10 my dad brought home a bottle of pure Mercury. He showed us how cool it was on a steel plate and warned us not to touch it. Nice of him huh?

Later when he was not home we broke into the cabinet where it was and proceeded to play with it. "Oh cool how it beads up in your hands, see how it pours from one hand to the other!"

We did that for several hours until all of it had dissipated or fell on the floor etc. Vapors are supposed to worse since it gets directly into the blood stream via your lung. Never said anything to my dad and he was never curious about the empty bottle. Nothing ever came of it. 30 Years later I was researching my newly diagnosed ADHD and found that mercury poisoning is suspected as a cause. And a little memory suddenly snapped up from my past. I made a Doc appointment and had several viles of blood taken for a wide variety of tests but nothing was abnormal. I took a bunch of chelating minerals and vitamins for several months but never noticed a difference.

I may have had an acute mercury poisoning when I was 10 but over time one incident may not be as significant. Breathing lead on a regular basis may have more of an impact. I would think that if it were that damaging that all kinds of safe handling practices would be implemented even controlled. But, it would not be the first time a known toxic substance was sold to the public without any warnings.

Xtrchessreal

I thought it was mercury.

bet you smell funny, like an Indian or a Mexican ;P

Reply to
The Librarian

on

that's interesting. I swear milk tastes better.different packaged in glass bottles.

Reply to
The Librarian

Furthermore, folklore has given rise to the use of various high sulfur foods as "chelating agents". These include onions, garlic, green foods and sea-weeds. Sulfur supplements like MSM or NAC have also been used. These are not actually chelating agents, as chelators involve multiple bonds to the metal atom and these foods and supplements involve compounds that are only mono-thiols. Cilantro has also been introduced [3] and is present in numerous alternative medications like "PCA-Rx", "Metal-Free" (both of which also contain ALA) and "NDF". Since no one seems to know what chelating substances may or may not be in cilantro, and since chelators can be dangerous due to their movement of neurotoxic heavy-metals, they should be approached with caution. In general Cilatro consists of an extract of Coriander fructus, being a plant cultivated in The Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy, Russia. The ingredient used by pharmacists and doctors is an etheric oil (0,5% w/w). Main part of this oil is (+)-Linalool (60% w/v). The chemical name of Linalool is 3,7-dimethyl-1-6-octadien-3-ol. It is also called Coriandroleum, reflecting its origin from Coriander fructus. The boiling point of Linalool ist 198 - 200 degrees Celsius. Other ingredients of the oil are Limonen, Geraniol, Citronellol, and Borneol, all having a similar chemical structure as Linalool, i.e. they are terpenes. Another molecule present in the oil is trans- tridecen-2-al-1 an aldehyde, being responsible for the tpical smell of Fructus coriander (like bugs). Geraniol is the isomeric form of Linalool and found in the oil of rose and palmarosa. The pharmacological action of terpenes such as Linalool is mainly spasmolytic and carminative. Similar action are known from the etheric oils of Fructus chamomillae and Fructus foeniculi. Due to the combintion of spasmolytic and carminative action of the terpenes heavy metals are excreated via increasing the renal flux and the G.I. tract. Neither Fructus coriander nor terpenes are capable of chelating heavy metals such as mercury or lead due to the lack of sulfur, nitrogen, or an organic acid structure within the chemical molecule. Fructus coriander is present in Mexican salsa and can kill bacteria such as Salmonella typhi. Similar pharmacological action are transmitted by the oil of Carvi fructus, i.e. Carvi aethericum. Spasmolytic and carminative acting remedies should be used carefully for detoxification of heavy metals, because of the lack of chelating power. If the concentration of heavy metals in the urine increases to over 17 microgramm / gramm creatinine then the epithelium of the promimal tubulus of the kidney might be destroyed by the heavy metal, since it is not "detoxified " by a chelating agent. Lesions of the epithelium are, hoewever, reversible.

Reply to
The Librarian

Before you start fooling around with dangerous selenium compounds read this excerpt from on the the selenium compound MSDS sheets. Animals have died from eating plants containing as little as 5 PPM of selenium. Just recently there was a recall because some company accidentally let sunburned potatoes be bagged and sold to the consumer. Not nice stuff at all!

Selenium compounds are poison by inhalation and intravenous routes. Some selenium compounds are experimental carcinogens. Long-term exposure may be a cause of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in humans, just as it may cause "blind staggers" in cattle. Elemental Selenium has low acute systemic toxicity, but dust or fumes can cause serious irritation of the respiratory tract. Inorganic selenium compounds can cause dermatitis. Garlic odor of breath is a common symptom. Pallor, nervousness, depression, digestive disturbances and death have been reported in cases of chronic exposure (Sax, Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials, eighth edition).

Reply to
sparky

That's a new one on me. I had always understood rosin to be a fairly benign material - at least when not heated up - made from naturally occuring pine resin. Is the zinc chloride something that has been added in to make the rosin suitable for some specific purpose ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 14:05:44 GMT, Steve Noll Gave us:

Not even then. Metallic form lead is simply not that hazardous.

The "white lead" in a car battery gleans off surface molecules pretty badly, and I wouldn't want to handle that much, and the old lead hatters used to use got a lot of "free molecules" in their bodies by touch, and food handling, but these modern alloys, as well as simple bullet lead are not that big a problem... at all.

Many gun shot wound treatments have occasions where they don't bother committing to surgery to remove the bullet. Only to patch up the damage it did in its path to its resting point. Shotgun pellets get left in a lot of cases as well. Our body fluids "temper" the surface too, and then no lead gleans off, if any did to begin with.

I too have soldered for years, and for one thing, there is No lead in the smoke that rises. That is volatized flux... PERIOD.

The melting point of lead yields no fumes that contain lead. One would have to boil it. Now Mercury, is liquid at room temp, and has a very low boiling point, and is VERY dangerous when boiling.

Lead alloy solders are completely safe...

RoHS sucks and is a ruse to buck up the euro dollar, and force the world to re-tool and re-chem all their processes. Nothing more.

BIG waste of money, and I am glad I work in a segment of the industry that is exempt.

Reply to
MassiveProng

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 09:12:31 -0500, PeterD Gave us:

They ALSO suffered from lead infusion problems from the hat bands, not merely their use of mercury with other aspects of old world style hat making crafts.

Reply to
MassiveProng

Talking of eating the stuff ...

When I was a kid, myself and a couple of friends all had air guns, that we used to take out with us on all day forays during the school summer holidays. We used to buy a box of lead pellets each, and tip great wads of them into our mouths, because it was quicker to snatch a nice spit-lubricated reload from your mouth, than it was to rummage amongst the fluff and half eaten jelly babies in your pockets ... We used to roll these things around in our mouths for hours. 40 years on, I'm still here, and my brain is still less addled than even my own ( apparently well-educated ) kids ! If lead was all that easily ingested, then my pellet activities, coupled with living in a house with all lead water pipes for the first 21 years of my life, must have ensured that I now weigh several pounds heavier than I really should ... !!

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

With the amount of amalgam in my mouth, I reckon that I must already be two points to the right of dead then ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Librarian" as in Unseen University ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 16:18:58 GMT, "TT_Man" Gave us:

Only if they were placed there by an incompetent dentist.

A properly done mercury/silver amalgam filling gets over 95% of the mercury squoze out during placement, and the rest is pretty well trapped.

Reply to
MassiveProng

I recall making some for a PC production line from water white rosin.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

You really aren't. Sure, you might not be required to produce RoHs-compliant products, but you'll find that already many parts are no longer available in non-RoHs packages, requiring higher temperatures for soldering, and within a few years here nothing will be available that isn't that way.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:35:31 -0600, "Stephen Cowell" Gave us:

Nickel Cadmium, a typical electronics plating media, is NOT one of the dangerous types, and is likely the most common you'll see in older equipment. The dangerous uses have indeed been out for a long time, and the places where more pure bits of cadmium were used is not likely in the gear you refer to. Certainly not on its exterior.

Reply to
MassiveProng

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:08:26 -0800, "Sofie" Gave us:

Correct.

Utter bullshit. Solder joint do not glean off lead molecules. None one could gain any count of anyway.

Now spend a day forming semi-rigid SMA coax cables that are unsheathed, and you will see some gray film on the fingers.

I spent the day in ARack, but I am no hero... :-]

Reply to
MassiveProng