lead free solder again

I saw some pictures of those "tin whiskers", and I didn't know the problem was so great.

So... is Airbus required to go for lead-free solder too, for RoHS and all that...?

Hoo-boy... if so, wouldn't want to fly on any Airbus aircraft built after 2006, then...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Military, medical & aerospace were the first exemptions granted - even the brain-dead arseholes who passed this crap know how dangerous lead free solder is!!!

Reply to
ian field

Hello Ian,

Err, if the 2nd sentence under the last table in this link still holds true Michael might have a point:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hmm... about that "some equipment used within an aircraft is within the scope"... are they referring to the equipment used to play the in-flight movies, or are they referring to the navigation equipment, transponder, equipment to activate the flaps, rudder, etc.?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Europe has mad politician disease!!!!!

Reply to
ian field

That should be a clear cut case of in flight entertainment equipment isn't aerospace equipment.

Reply to
ian field

Several product sectors have been exempted. Tells it all really.

If avionics aren't in there ( possibly covered by other legislation ) it'll be a worry given the high levels of vibration.

Some bright spark applied for an exemption for pro-audio ( no doubt on the basis that ppl expect the stuff to last longer than 2-5 yrs ).

Shame that the video guys weren't so well on the ball !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Hmm, had a few beers, but, maybe we should **Insist** that

"servers, storage and storage array systems, network infrastructure equipment for switching, signalling, transmission as well as network management for telecommunications" must be lead free.

Why should something that just contains data be exempt

There seems to be unstated assumptions about the quality of domestic products over industrial products and life span.

Sorry, run out of neurons, OK the idea needs some work....Just inverting the argument can cause some "fun"

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Video doesn't exist, these days, its just a DSP function, so its covered by the server " Gottcha"

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

be a

basis

Oh it does exist. It's just a bit different. Think eng for example. Then there's broadcast video mixers and the like.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Boeing too. They contracted quite a few systems out to EU suppliers on the 787.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On 10 Jul 2006 15:02:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

I am almost absolutely certain that avionics is in the exempt list.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:14:20 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." Gave us:

Even the fucktard EU knows when not to use pure tin CRAP.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Because the politicians want to make sure the computers can print their paychecks on time.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've actually saw some tin coated boards with whiskers almost as bad as that. There are some pics on the net with whiskers over 1 cm in length. Also note that tin dendrite growth and tin whiskers are NOT the same thing.

Reply to
Jeff L

The bigger problem, is that while industry sectors can get exemptions, it's becoming very difficult to get leaded components any more. Many vendors have simply dropped them. And we are now starting to see that many vendors will never be making new parts in a leaded option. So unless the aerospace manufacturers have hangers full of leaded parts, the exemption is no use. And even if they do have good stocks, they will be locked into 2005/06 technology.

Maybe the problem will be solved when the first Airbus full of Euro-crats crashes as a result of tin whiskers or tin pest?

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Didn't know that lead was added not until the late 40's.

But if you spray finished boards with some kind of coating, would that not prevent the growth of whiskers?

Anyway, I don't hear much complaining from large companies so it might not be such a big deal after all. Time will tell, of course.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

You want to physically restrain the tin ? It's some kind of crystal growth so I doubt it'll be bothered by a coating. In nay case what you're suggesting is simply another band-aid on a truly bad idea.

There's plenty more problems anyway such as fatigue of the solder joint.

Haven't heard about Swatch ?

I'm sure there'll be screams of anguish eventually when the full implications come to light.

Yes it will.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Eeyore" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

so I

is

Given the diameter of the whiskers, I doubt if they develop enough force to punch through. Strange phenomena anyway, because the whiskers don't start everywhere, but just here and there.

That's the one and only I heard off, and was mentioned here at SED about a month ago? One case is not much. I don't hear Philips, Sony, JVC, Samsung, HP, Canon, etc.

implications

The list of exemptions can be widened, if need be. I can imagine they add wrist watches to the list of exemptions, not much solder in a wrist watch anyway, so who would care about that kind of stuff being lead-free or not.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Tin whiskers have nothing to do with lead-free or non lead-free parts. It only depends on what kind of solder you are using.

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Bahner