shrink tape

Does anyone know an easier way to separate the backing from the shrink tape? It can sometimes take me several minutes to get the two apart. :( I'm talking about the black tape with black backing that, when wrapped around a wire, etc. sticks not because it is sticky, but because one stretches it and it springs/shrinks back.

(For those who haven't tried it, this stuff was expensive last time I bought some, but it's great. It's especially useful where heat shring tubing can't be used because the wire has ends.)

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Sounds like you are talking about self amalgamating rubber tape ? Just stretch the first 1" to start the backing removal then as you wind the tape on (with the tension required to stretch it)pull the loosened backing away as you go. For light wires where you cant pull on them, pre stretch the tape a few inches at a time and use the same method.

-- Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Self Amalgamating Tape: Yes, it's an awkward job to get it apart. I find pinching and tugging at a corner will separate the corner, as the backing does not stretch, but the tape does. This leaves a "ruck" in the tape that you can get hold of.

Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Reply to
Mike

Self amalgamating tape?

NSM

Or buy the 3M "backingless" self amalgamating tape. I prefer it to the "2 piece" self amalgamating tape.

Try this link

Steve Tomchuk

In sci.electronics.repair on Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:06:37 +0000 (UTC) snipped-for-privacy@posie.local.dom (Mike) posted:

Yeah, that seems like a reasonable name. I may have bought it with no name and named it shrink tape myself.

I'll try to get the hang of this and Rheilly's method.

Thanks to everyone

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In sci.electronics.repair on Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:19:53 -0600 Steve Tomchuk posted:

I have a lot of the other stuff to go though, but I'll keep my eyes open for this.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has problems getting this to work! :)

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Some things need a knack to make happen. Sometimes only persistence works.

NSM