Redundant power supply problem

Can anyone offer some insight into this? A server has 2 redundant power supplies. After soft shutdown it won't boot again unless the PSUs are alternately switched on and off several times. (All power comes on but no sign of CPU life.) After that it runs fine on either supply.

I replaced the hot-swap chassis that switches between the supplies. No effect.

Turning it off again could be risky so I need specific ideas before I attempt that. I have some ideas but I need as many as possible so I can do a lot of tests at once.

Of course there are backups, but the hard drives are ok anyway, and there's no place to restore the data to if the server won't boot.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

Is there a RESET button? This sounds like the power on reset circuit isn't being triggered - maybe the power is coming up too slowly or something like that?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Does it have fan sensors that lock it out if they don't spin? Or might the boot drive be spinning up too slowly?

What I'm driving at is something (probably mechanical) that's not responding in time.

Is the "power good" signal coming up?

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

isn't

like

There is, and pressing it did nothing.

There are a lot of things I didn't try, and once I got it to boot I left it alone. What can I add to the to-try list?

voltages voltage sequence? important? Power-good trying above again with hard drives and cards removed

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

All the fans seem to be spinning. It only shows a blank screen, and if the HDD was taking too long then it would at least do the POST.

I haven't tested that. I can put a storage scope on it. Any idea what the timing should be in relation to the voltages coming up?

I want to do a battery of tests next weekend (too sick now or I would have done it this week). I don't want to cycle the power too many times, because I think it got a little harder to make it come up each time I tried.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 05:32:13 GMT, "Tom Del Rosso" put finger to keyboard and composed:

From Intel's "ATX / ATX12V Power Supply Design Guide":

PWR_OK delay (T3): 100 ms < T3 < 500 ms

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thanks. Does it say what voltage level T3 is referenced from? I mean 5V must pass a threshold before PWR_OK should be true.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:36:55 GMT, "Tom Del Rosso" put finger to keyboard and composed:

The undervoltage thresholds are -5% for all three major rails.

See

"PWR_OK is a ?power good? signal. It should be asserted high by the power supply to indicate that the +12 VDC, +5VDC, and +3.3VDC outputs are above the undervoltage thresholds listed in Section 3.2.1 and that sufficient mains energy is stored by the converter to guarantee continuous power operation within specification for at least the duration specified in Section 3.2.11, ?Voltage Hold-up Time.? Conversely, PWR_OK should be deasserted to a low state when any of the

+12 VDC, +5 VDC, or +3.3 VDC output voltages falls below its undervoltage threshold, or when mains power has been removed for a time sufficiently long such that power supply operation cannot be guaranteed beyond the powerdown warning time."

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar