flexible heat shrink tubing

Hi! I seem to recall a kind of tubing that looked like it was made of foam rubber, and it stayed very flexible after the shrinking. Has my drinking finally caught up with me? Anyone have a name or part number? TIA

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I've seen a form of "wire nut" made of heat-shrink, with a lining of a relatively low-melt thermoplastic, which would melt (or at least soften) as you shrunk the tubing and ooze out, then when it set the joint was water-tight. The ones I saw had one end pre-sealed, so they were used like wire-nuts, or to cap off dead-end wires.

But that doesn't sound like what you're looking for - I've noticed that as heat-shrink (at least the types I've used) get very pliable when they start shrinking - the cross-links are relaxing or something; but you don't have much working time, because it shrinks so abruptly.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. )-;

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

:Hi! :I seem to recall a kind of tubing that looked like it was made of foam :rubber, and it stayed very flexible after the shrinking. :Has my drinking finally caught up with me? :Anyone have a name or part number? :TIA

No heatshrink tubing that I recall was ever made of "foam rubber" or anything like it. Heatshrink tubing is invariably a cross-linked polyolefin made with various formulations and modifiers.

If you want the most flexible (after shrinking/cooling) then I would suggest a thin wall or ultra-thin wall tubing such as the RLT or RUC types shown here.

Ross Herbert

For that purpose I just shrink the ends and that lets the rest flexible. WW

Reply to
WW

I remember such shrink tubing. If I recall correctly the material was black rubber like and "irradiated" somehow. Maybe this is same stuff:

Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY