Do hard drives fail from open covers?

Three of my 60-80 Gig Maxtor hard drives failed. First it will not look for datas. Later it will not format. Then finally it will click forever and won't boot. All three have the same thing in common, there covers were opened for a second in a clean, dust free room out of curiosity. Do hard drives fail from a quick cover removal?

Thanks

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

Why would you open all 3 in the first place? Was one not enough? Did you think the GIGs in the other drives looked different?? Hard drives use very precise floating head. they are very close to the plattens. As much as you feel you are in a dust free area when you open then, there is still alot of dust. It is possible that the regular airbourne dust in your place has damaged the heads or plattens. Or the controller boards have just crapped out. Check the connections from the board to the heads, as these are usually delicate.

Reply to
Steve Lewinsky

Yes. That's why it says: 'do not open' or 'warranty void if seal broken' on the sticker.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

I accidentally broke the foil seal on one of my Western Digital hard disk drives. I tried taping it shut but it failed anyway. So then I tried spraying some WD-40 into it but that didn't do any good. So I sprayed a lot more in there and it just kept clicking and clicking. Heheh.

Yes, the fact you opened them and exposed the heads and platter, and then they failed is a good proof of what those who know will tell you. The required ultimate physical precision is probably why recovering data from a hard disk drive is so expensive. On the other hand, backups are cheap and easy.

Reply to
John Doe

Clean rooms have micron filters. The gap between head and disk is smaller than the dust particles!

Reply to
BobG

It's just like throwing a shovel full of gravel on a vinyl record. Air is filthy. Harddrives are delicate. They are sealed for a reason.

Reply to
Nog

--
Yeah, they do.

You may _think_ you were in a dust-free room, but as far as the
drives are concerned, when you opened them up they thought you were
throwing in a bunch of boulders.
Reply to
John Fields

Where did you find a dust free room? Did you rent a clean room or did you borrow a laminar flow hood?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Maybe this is a troll, but...

In general, there's no such thing as a dust free room. Hard drive heads fly over the surface of the disk on a microscopic thin cushion of air, and even tiny bits of dust will scratch the surface. They are assembled and sealed in a *very* clean environment. Even clean rooms where you put on a bunny suit and go through an airlock are questionable for the level of cleanliness you would need to open a drive. More appropriate would be the glove box approach, but you would have to clean the drive meticulously first, or the dust accumulated on the outside of the drive from the real world would contaminate the "clean" environment upon introduction. There are ways and means to do it, but all are beyond the realm of "out of curiousity". Do not open working hard drives! Doing so renders them junk.

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

Does anyone have that diagram DEC used to include with disk drive user/service info? You know the one - it shows the heads flying over the surface of the disk next to a particle of dust and cigarette smoke, which looked like boulders in comparison.

And that was in the days where the flying height was

10 or 100 times greater than it is today!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Yeah. That's the 1st thing that came to my mind. I tried to Google it, but I'm not finding anything. It looked like this: : View in monospaced font (Courier). : ________ : / : / : / : / : / : / : / : __________ | : / \ | human : / \ | hair : / \ | : / \ | :============== | dust | \ : |_____| ___ | particle | \ : head | | | \ : | \ / \ : air gap \ / \ : | \ / \ : platter | \ / \ :================================================================= :=================================================================

Reply to
JeffM

and

You may get lucky once in a while, but opening the cover will almost always kill the drive. Sometimes it'll die moments later, other times it'll go a few weeks then start developing read errors but once the seal has been broken the drive should never be trusted again.

Reply to
James Sweet

The image included on this page by any chance?

Anna Daptor

"Steve Lewinsky" wrote

The 20 Gig contains two platters. The 130 Gigs contains 3 platters. How could 3 platters holds so much data? Straight from its factory wrapper, I crack the lids open inside a large clean, clear plastic bag inside a hepa filtered closet which still doesn't help.

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

That's the idea, but as Sam said it showed smoke and dust. (I'll add that it also included a hair for comparison.)

All the contaminants were shown as perfect circles to clearly demonstrate the relative diameters. It was a black & white line drawing IIRC.

Reply to
JeffM

Your mistake was in opening drives that you wanted.

There are loads of smaller drives that people don't want, which would have fulfilled your curiosity. And ironically, you might find that the smaller the capacity the more the platters.

But you didn't need to open the drives to find out how so few platters could hold so much capacity. Indeed, opening them didn't do a bit in answering that.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

more the platters.

That might be interesting trivia if it were true.

Click on the Configuration tab for each of the sizes and look at a number of platters.

If you can find data for a series which supports your contention, please post the link.

Reply to
John Doe

To be clear. No hard disk drive should be trusted. Doesn't really matter what the apparent condition or known reliability/MTBF/whatever. Always keep backups of data you consider important, preferably on removable media.

Reply to
John Doe

But technology is changing so fast that indeed, a drive that appears similar on the outside may have a different bit density on the platters.

The contention that an older, lower capacity drive, may have more platters is certainly true!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anyth>

But technology is changing so fast that indeed, a drive that appears similar on the outside may have a different bit density on the platters.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Especially if you have any idiots anywhere nearby that think it's "ok" to take the protective cover off and gawk at the insides.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia