Vaseline on coax connection?

Is it a good idea to put Vaseline on a coax connection, or will it damage the thread? thanks.

Reply to
lbbss

It won't damage anything, but it might be kinda messy. Is this connection outdoors?

Reply to
James Sweet

I much prefer clear silicone grease like GC 10-8101. I've opened up outdoor 'F' connectors after 15 years and still looking like new. The antenna got mangled by the roofers but the connections were fine.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

no its a indoor connection, but I have lots of them.

Reply to
lbbss

If it is a perminanent connection I don't see where it will be a problem. Like someone else said silicone might be better, but I can't see why vaseline won't work. Usually indoor connections don't suffer from the corrison problems that outdoor ones do, unless say you live on the beach and leave your windows open all the time.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Oh to clarify I meant silicone grease.. Not RTV silicone sealant

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

In message , Michael Kennedy writes

WD40's OK too.

--
Ian
Reply to

For what? It'll wash off whatever is on there to begin with, but it won't leave anything useful behind.

Reply to
James Sweet

OK for what? For short term water displacement yes, for anything more than a week or so, WD-40 is totally useless, it is 100% aromatic, and will vaporize leaving nothing.

Reply to
PeterD

In message , PeterD writes

It won't vaporize completely. There'll be a long-lasting film left behind - especially if the connectors are indoors. However, Vaseline and silicon grease will be just fine.

--
Ian
Reply to

WD-40 *WILL* vaporize completely. That is part of the WD-40 design specification! WD-40 is not, was not, never was, isn't, won't be a lubricant for long term use. It has slight value as a short term (hours or perhaps days) for lubrication or protection, but no value for either for any period of time exceeding a day or two, let alone a week.

Silicon dielectric grease will work very well, Vaseline may work, however vaseline contains compounds that may nto be suitable for contact with other than one's private parts... IOW, it may not be good for electrial work.

That said, we use it for a mold release agent... Works well for that!

Reply to
PeterD

ireland-informatiom thewearingofthegreen

Fu,,K YOU, BITCH! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Tell that to gun collectors who made the mistake of using WD-40, and having to remove the crap that built up. WD-40 is a petroleum distillate, and does not completely evaporate. It was developed to displace water in electrical systems, and leave a coating to help seal the surface.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It won't damage metal at all, but I've seen PVC insulation turn to the consistency of hard cheese when exposed to petroleum products. Use silicone grease instead, or just wrap the connection with black electrical tape.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Old Radio tb (tv) commercial I remember from wayyyyy back in the

1950s,,,,,,, Vaseline Petroleum Jellyyyy,,,, Your First Aid Kit in a Jarrrr!!!!

Hey, Paul Gallo,

last year he said on his Radio talk show to put Vicks VapoRub on the bottom of your feet.I might try that out someday. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Use the Silicon grease MS4, but I think this is a UK version, could be Midland Silicon's type 4

Reply to
Brian Mathews

So basically it does not sound like vaseline will don any harm to the thread. That's all I needed thanks.

Reply to
lbbss

I didn't respond to this because I wasn't sure what the OP wanted to know.

I assumed he meant whether it was okay to grease the threads, but everyone else seemed to interpret the question as to whether it was okay to cover the outside of the connector with Vaseline -- which seems harmless.

If you were greasing up the threads to keep them from binding -- would the goo have any effect on the electrical behavior of the connectors?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

In message , William Sommerwerck writes

Unless someone, for a joke, has put iron filings in his favourite pot of Vaseline, probably not a lot!

--
Ian
Reply to

UK, dont put any Ben Gay on a certain part of your body.

Vaseline is a petroleum product. cuhulin, in America

Reply to
cuhulin