Re-using laptop displays....

Has anyone _ever_ found a laptop model that the screen could somewhat easily be salvaged for use as a standalone display?

Reply to
Anonymous

The problem is that the Laptop displays do use a standard not found on other equipment for digital data transfer. Although it is mechanically and electrically compatible with your standard DVI-Out on the computer, it uses a different digital encoding ( You know, like Gray, BCD and what there is more ). I am not sure if it was LVDS what they use, or if LVDS was the standard DVI-Ports utilize.

Basically: When you manage to get a PC to produce the correct signals on the DVI, you are hot an running - it could be that the problem could be solved in software, but I am not sure. You can write to Samsung's or Philips Tech support and ask for the pinout of their displays "on the display controllers connector" - otherwise youget a sub-D HD15 pinout sended - or a DVI one.

Hope tis helps a little - maybe you poke your nose into my message 6 messages earlier as a return - perhaps you have an idea I could use.

Many thanks, and hope you had wonderfull Christmas days.

--
Sincerely

Ruediger
Reply to
=?ISO-8859-15?Q?R=FCdiger?=

See the thread the last time this question was asked, which likely was last week.

At the very most, someone asked it in the past month.

And of course, nothing had changed about the answers from all the previous times someone had asked.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

her

es

the

of

Theres also the remote desktop route, probably the most practical option for these. Is there such a thing as a linux live remote desktop cd?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

only if you want to use the display for standalone target practice cockrocket

Reply to
Malissa Baldwin

No, people usually ask "can I use my old laptop as a monitor?". I'm asking if anyone here has ever found a specific model that can be hacked in this way; I'd be a little surprised if there were no laptops ever made with the video subsection on a daughterboard.

Reply to
Anonymous

Every one that I've ever seen has been the same, a custom digital interface designed for whatever specific graphics controller chip is in the machine. Laptops need to be as compact, light weight, lowest power consumption and lowest cost possible, no way they'll use some sort of kludge board to adapt the signal to the LCD when graphics controllers are available that already directly support LCD panels.

Closest you'll find are laptops with upgradeable graphics boards, but it'd take some doing to get one of those working in a desktop PC and you'd still end up with a relatively small display in a hacked enclosure when you could buy something equivalent that will plug right into your PC for only a couple hundred bucks.

Reply to
James Sweet