Laptop has problem starting after charging

Hello, I have a electronics/computers related quesiton and I hope this is the right place.

I own an old IBM T22 Laptop, recently it started acting up on me and when I try to start it the lights would blink and then go out and the computer wouldn't start.

I saw somewhere on the internet that I should unplug it from the outlet and remove the battery and press the power button to empty capacitors or something like that (I'm not even sure where I saw this). SUre enough if I left it unplugged and pressed the button long enough (Very long sometimes, somtimes shorter) the laptop would start.

After trial and error I came up with a different solution.

If I only charge the laptop battery while it is running the computer works fine. Meaning everytime I turn it off I remove the charger cable and after it starts I put it back.

What do you think about this? Is it a problem with the charger/converter, with the board, does it really have anything to do with capacitors?

TIA, Mimsy

Reply to
MimsyBoro

It might be, but comp.sys.laptops is probably a good one too. I have forwarded your inquirty there too.

--
Dave K

Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE).

Dave (from the UK)

I have a T20 which showed the same symptoms. The only reliable fix is to replace its motherboard. You can buy used one from E-bay around $50 but make sure you check its serialnumber.

Download the proper service manual because to open up a laptop is not trivial task if you never did it before.

Good luck,

--Jules

Reply to
kgyula