Rca tv problem, can I do this for a fix?

x-no-archive:yes

I have posted about my 90's model RCA tv certain channels going out then coming back on. I can make them come back by jiggeling the rf connector in the back.

I read something about somone taking a small guage wire and soldering the tuner shield to a ground to eliminate all the soldering. Since I am an inexperienced ciruit board solderer, would this be feasible to do? DO I understand that right? They soldered a wire from the metal tuner cover to a ground?

Reply to
stryped

RCA had many problems with the solder. Especially around the tuner. You may have to take the top of the tuner and solder everything you see, especially the solder traces around the shielding can. Then put the lid back on.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

x-no-archive:yes

I have not taken this off yet. Is this a hard repair? Where and what is the sheilding can?

I have noticed that wiggel> > x-no-archive:yes

Reply to
stryped

Wiggle it some more and it will break off.. You will need a Mag Glass and fine tip iron to repair the shield. Now if you dont know what the shield is then take the TV to a repair shop. Do a Google on it....There is plenty of info there....

Reply to
kip

x-no-archive:yes

Are you calling the shield the cover to the tuner?

I have a gun not the pencil tip kind but I can get one.

I have limited > Wiggle it some more and it will break off..

Reply to
stryped

x-no-archive:yes

Wait, are you talk> Wiggle it some more and it will break off..

Reply to
stryped

Do a Google.... No ! I say if you wiggle the connector YOU will break it off. The tuner shield is the fault..... Like I said before you will need a fine tip Iron NOT a Gun type. This repair is beyond you ..Why not let a Pro repair it .

Reply to
kip

x-no-archive:yes

Can you explain what the tuner shield is? (For my own knoweledge)

I th> Do a Google....

Reply to
stryped

R you unable to do a Google search ??

Reply to
kip

x-no-archive:yes

I have d> R you unable to do a Google search ??

Reply to
stryped

x-no-archive:yes

Would the solder> x-no-archive:yes

Reply to
stryped

Whats the CTC number of the TV... Search that number

Reply to
kip

x-no-archive:yes

ctc169Js6

I have been reading some more and it seems some have solved the probelem by just resoldering the bottom of the tuner shield to the board. AM I understanding that right?

Reply to
stryped

Ok Pull out the Tuner remove the covers and get that Mag Glass out... Look for dry solder joints,these are not easy to do on the 169 tuners.

Good Luck

Reply to
kip

x-no-archive:yes

Why is it not easy to do ont he 169? The only picture I could find on the net was a 175 or so here:

Does the 169 look like that?

What exactly do you mean by a "dry" joint? Where solder has come off the board? (Like what happens in a cold joint as I call it.)

Do I first need a de solder> Ok Pull out the Tuner remove the covers and get that Mag Glass out...

Reply to
stryped

Ok...Enough.. Call a TV shop let them repair it. Its way over your head.. ciao

Reply to
kip

stryped: OK.... you said you do not have enough money to have it properly repaired by a shop so I guess for sure that you do not have enough money to replace the television. I am not trying to say you are not capable of repairing things BUT due to the nature of you continued questions and lacking the proper tools and experience, it is my opinion that you are way out of your league here. Take it to a repair shop for a proper and SAFE repair or at the very least get a repair cost estimate so you can make an intelligent repair decision with facts instead of guesses. TAKE it to a shop for and estimate... a phone call will just be wild guesses. With a baby on the way.... you certainly want a SAFE repair and the baby needs a daddy..... so don't open it up unless you know what you are doing.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

...and in the meantime, tape it over with gobs of plastic tape so that it doesn't move (don't laugh--I've seen this...worse yet, I've seen it work--for a while, at least)

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

x-no-archive:yes

Tape what?

I have an extra tv but would liek to fix this > > stryped:

Reply to
stryped

x-no-archive:yes

WHy do you say that?