Looking for HORNG CHIH (DC power jack) distributors

Hi,

Been given a Mitac 7321 laptop to fix with a broken dc power jack (socket). The part number of this socket is 'IDJ-D21-6T'

Anyone know where I purchase such a socket. HORNG CHIH don't respond to emails or faxes, and Mitac UK are only interested in selling replacement laptop motherboards. I know it looks like a common garden 2.5mm DC jack, but the original does match pad locations on the PCB - others don't and bodging it is not my name....

I'm located in the UK.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Of course, you're willing to buy 10,000 of these jacks to satisfy your urge for cosmetic beauty on one laptop, right? If so, contact Horng Chih again and tell them you want to buy 10K samples for initial production and 250,000 per year thereafter.

These miscellaneous Asian parts are absolutely unobtainable at retail.

The good news is that they are VERY rarely unique parts. Much more likely you will find a standard part at Mouser, Digi-Key, etc that exactly matches the part you're looking at.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Thanks, Searched Mouser, Digi-Key, CPC, Farnell, Maplin, RS, Rapid - Nothing. The PCB mounting base pin configuration of the jack is 90 degrees to standard types. :-(

Oh well, looks like I may have to bodge it inverting the socket, strands of connecting wire and lashings of super glue for strength. Nice fire hazard at 19V/6Amps if the fuse holds out. Would be interested if other laptop motherboard repairers go to such lengths on Mitac junk....

--
Adrian C
Reply to

I would suggest two-part epoxy and insulated multistrand wire. Super glue (cyanoacrylates) doesn't fill voids and can't be used to provide lateral support; it merely bonds contacting surfaces.

Officially, there is no component-level repair on this type of electronics, only replacement at the subassy level.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

I had a TV fall off the stand during an earthquake, and the F connector was ripped out of the tuner. A local repairman, rather than replace the entire tuner assembly, just soldered a short coax cable to the tuner and presented me with a two-inch long dongle with a male F at the back of the TV. Very cheap, and works great. You might consider this method, which will eliminate structural problems. Ugly, but beautiful.

Don

Reply to
Don Heller