Need help with older RCA Tv with solder ground problem

x-no-archive:yes

I have a :

Model # G35830WK

Chasis # CTC169JS6

With stations that go in and out. Wiggeling the coax sometimes fixes it. I am assumming this is the notorious tuner ground problem. I have not opened up the tv yet. Does anyone have a diagram on where the tuner is and what needs to be taken off to get to it to re solder the tuner shield?

I have also read elsewhere that some have fixed this by soldering a jumper wire from the shield to a ground. Is this an acceptable fix for those whose soldering skills may not be stellar? What ground would you run the jumper wire to?

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
stryped

Ok Remove the back of the TV . You will see what is on the other end of the fitting that you are wiggling. That's the tuner ,remove it then take of the cover and get out the mag glass and reflow the bad connections. Done many of those.

kip

Reply to
kip

Reply to
stryped

Well of course you have to unsolder it to remove it...and when you've repaired it solder it back . What the think its just sitting there ?

Slacken off chassis pull out and turn over use solder braid or sucker to remove solder.

kip

Reply to
kip

Reply to
stryped

Yes remove the Tuner from the board.

kip

Reply to
kip

Reply to
stryped

Ken Weitzel

You don't need a schematic, it cannot be any simpler.. Plus a schematic isn't going to help you.

Reply to
kip

Reply to
stryped

No! Use a Blowtorch... Were are we going with this...???

Reply to
kip

Reply to
stryped

The repairshop in your area will have the proper tools to remove the tuner and fix the bad solder on it. It probily won`t cost you a awhole lot of money. Will cost you mostly labor for doing this unless it need the rf connector which I don`t think it needs. This will save you alot of greef in learning how to use the schematics to find out that you didn`t need it in the first place to fix your tuner.

Reply to
tvguy

x-no-archive:yes

The tv was given to me so I d> The repairshop in your area will have the proper tools to remove the

Reply to
stryped

Reply to
stryped

You are a Troll..or just stupid.

Reply to
kip

I think Kip is the one that should go away. He is not a real tech. He is a wanna be tech and think he is god.

Reply to
tvguy

See if the RF connector seems loose when you move it. If so you just might get away with just sodering it back to ground which is easy to do from the outside. Just need to solder the RF connector where it meets the case of the tuner.

Reply to
tvguy

should

connector

Given your reluctance to do anything at all, I suggest you do as little as possible to fix the problem at hand. Why would you want to resolder a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with the problem? As far as whether or not you can resolder the RF connector without opening the tuner box, I trust you'll be able to ascertain that by looking at it.

At this point, you've *positively* exhausted your "ask the audience" lifeline. Now GET IN THERE AND FIX IT!!!!!!! I don't want to hear another peep out of you until it's working.[/quote:7bb41833e9]

Atleast your the first one that has told this guy what to do without going threw alot of crap like to take out the tuner and do all the common tuner grounds. All these other guys just tell these home wanna be techs to go and do things that they really don`t understand. Atleast the RF connector they should know what it is. I like your style and sorry if my english is not written at it`s best for you.

Reply to
tvguy