Rant: F**k the Salvation Army

Yes, one of the darkest fantasies.

It would hold no terror for anyone who realised with certainty that death is not the end.

Please don't come and try it on me; my intention is to drop the body at the appropriate time rather than inviting death as an attempt to escape.

--
Stephen
Lennox Head, Australia

How do you know for certain. I've heard stories about white lights and tunnels etc. The only real face to face version I've heard is from a mate who nearly drowned who said his whole life flashed before him somehow.

LOL ! A flame thread about modes is nothing I'd want to prematurely bury anyone over. Rest easy, mate.The only reason I'd go to Lennox Head is for an onshore breeze and a 3 metre swell or to get away from the dropkick community that is Byron Bay.

Reply to
Grinner

Don't forget the purple face cloth and the coolaid.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Friend of mine gave me a 32" Sony TV for free. It was an overheated mess. He'd paid $175 to have it repaired, all they'd done was replace one electrolytic and resoldered half dozen solder joints on the main board. The main board had many cooked capacitors and grainy solder joints, the entire power supply board had every single joint looking grainy and every single electrolytic on the main board was bad.

Since I was fixing it for myself, didn't matter how much labor I put in it.

But I knew he'd ask... sure enough, he was over one day and noticed the set working beautifully. He asked for the TV back, but I was prepared. I pulled an invoice off the side of the set and said as soon as he settled the $350 bill, it was his again. ;')

I knew he'd only given it to me because he thought it wasn't worth fixing, and figured he'd trick me into hauling it away and paying the $10 "recycling" fee to throw it away.

I had a boss try and pull the same thing. Gave me two sets he thought were unrepairable, I fixed them. He looked quite surprised about it, then two days later demanded them back, saying he had buyers. I said forget it, he gave them to me (one had been sitting outside), was he going to pay me for fixing them? No, he wasn't. Too bad, I already sold them myself.

Back on the original topic, the OP should be saying "Kudos to Salvation Army" for giving him store credit. They -don't- give cash refunds.

I'd -never- pay $35 for an LCD monitor without testing it! Others have already pointed out his faults in logic.

Good deals? I bought a Graphtec 18" vinyl cutter for $25 at GW. It gave me warning beeps, motors never budged. Took a chance, all that was wrong was backing from vinyl had torn off and jammed the motors, blowing one fuse. Separate fuse on motors, and electronics. One 25 cent fuse and a good cleaning later, I have a nice working vinyl cutter.

I was in a Salvation Army outlet store. Just from luck, it was 99 cent electronics day! I got an electronic car cooler, an ethernet to parallel print server, a USB to Ethernet box, and a bunch of other stuff, plus... wait for it... a 15" LCD monitor with power supply and cable! The LCD monitor has a problem, only intermittently turns on, but for 99 cents, I'm happy! Only reason I got it was because I was incredibly lucky, I was standing in just the right spot when someone burst out of the back and set it down right next to me. By the time I'd picked it up and looked up, others had already taken several steps towards it.

If they are asking too much for something when you consider the risk vs benefit, I just don't buy it.

You get bees with flowers, and they make honey. With shit you get flies, and they only make more flies.

Make sure you put a lid on the honey. I hear it can draw flies. ;')

Steve Greenfield

Reply to
polymorph

When buying used - try to keep these questions in mind:

  1. How bad do I "need" it?
  2. How bad do I "want" it?
  3. Can I "use it for parts" if not repairable?
  4. Can I "repair it"?
  5. Can I "afford it at the cost"?
  6. Does it have "any chance of producing value or investment to me"?
  7. Can I "afford to lose the money" if questions 1-6 are either questionable at best or NO?

I use that to filter out many items............

Most "Thrift", Goodwill's and others are not giving CASH BACK anymore. Its a credit slip - so if you goofed - make GOOD USE of the credit slip.

Reply to
Spamfree

...pics or Youtube video? ;O}

Reply to
Navin R. Johnson

Actually, Al Gore is like a voice crying in the wilderness by doing so. No one else seems to care and global warming is a gretaer threat than anything facing the planet.

Reply to
Grinner

But did he really say that tobacco smoking was a major source of global warming?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Don't know.

Reply to