Army mutiny in Russia

Sort of interesting. Putin isn't keeping his mercenaries happy, which is never a good approach. Whether a few peevish soldier can act as the nucleus of a larger up-rising is uncertain. It has happened, but not all that often.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Says Fred Bloggs, who hasn't got any credibility of his own and doesn't seem to have been able to find anything better. Al Jazeera doesn't at least seem to have an axe to grind. which is why I went for their report.

They are supposed to be the sweepings of the Russian prisons, rather than conscripted serfs - not a medieval concept.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

It is over ... Prigozhin will move to Belarus, and his troops will return to positions without him.

Reply to
Öö Tiib

Or so you like to think. You haven't identified the post involved and I suspect that you are going in for wishful thinking. Your ideas about western vaccine development are distinctly strange. and none stranger than your delusion that you have privileged insight into the process.

I don't have to bother.

Armies have to be moved to where there are battles to be fought. A rabble is disorganised and hard to move as a coherent mass. I think you'd better think that out again.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

He should move to Hague.

Reply to
Eddy Lee

Seems unlikely. The guy that runs Belarus, Alexander Lukashenko has been in power since 1994 and seems dedicated to retaining power. Prigozhin may be talented but Lukashenko is well established.

"A national constitution was adopted in March 1994 in which the functions of prime minister were given to the President of Belarus. A two-round election for the presidency on 24 June 1994 and 10 July 1994[33] catapulted the formerly unknown Alexander Lukashenko into national prominence. He garnered 45% of the vote in the first round and 80% in the second, defeating Vyacheslav Kebich who received 14% of the vote.

Lukashenko was officially re-elected in 2001, in 2006, in 2010, in 2015 and again in 2020, although none of those elections were considered free or fair nor democratic."

Trump gets the same kind of response in the US. There are quite a few gullible twits in every population.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Looks like it has been an organized publicity stunt. They now build barracks <200 km from the Ukranian border with Belarus. Whether they mean to launch an attack on Kiev from there or it is only about Kiev allocating forces there is yet to be seen.

Putin is obviously quite certain his power is beyond challenge, otherwise he would not have made himself look weak. It is a trick. I doubt Zelensky can be tricked but all western analysts I have read/listened to have been tricked.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff