OT: but I thought you lot might know

This is a power saver device on ebay. How does it work ?

It says just plug it in to the mains nearest the meter and it will reduce power consumption.

It is not mine, I am not trolling and I am not selling

I just want to know HOW !!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It doesn't work.

It's complete utter JUNK.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Given it source (China), given that it claims to be a passive device, given that it is in parallel with all other systems connected to the mains, I have to believe that if there is _anything_ to it, it is that there is some sort of capacitor inside that handles surges and reduces instantaneous peak loads.... with a great big M A Y B E given its very small size.

Otherwise, I expect that it is like many similar devices working just by raising consciousness, no more.

is a case-in-point.

But:

Of course since the device "also removes carbon from the circuit" (YIKES), you get a sense of credibility here.

Keep in mind that if it is too good to be true, it is too good to be true. Consider also that the days of very bad power are long gone pretty much anywhere in the US or GB that is on a major grid. This may not be so true of China, nor will the average Chinese household be as heavy a consumer of power as the average US or GB household. So it is

*just* possible that a capacitor bank smaller than a breadbox might have some nominal use.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

"Dave" wrote in news:eawFi.193582$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

up

_W0QQitemZ150159498266QQihZ005QQcategoryZ57215QQtcZphotoQQcmdZView

It works by correcting power factor.

Power factor is really an issue for commercial/industrial installations that are metered in KVars, which power factor correction can bring in line and reduce metered useage.

Since most residential services have a near perfect power factor, and are metered in KWh, such a device will do little to realize real savings on one's power bill.

Reply to
Gary Tait

That article is total junk science. There's barely a truthful word in it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It does nothing of the sort.

Furthermore, since domestic users don't pay any extra for non-unity power factor loads, there is no advantage to the customer even attempting to 'correct' their power factor, even if it was a practical proposition, which it isn't.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Simple. It converts your money to their money.

Snip

Reply to
Don Bowey

factor

As I stated, it would take a capacitor bank 'bigger than a breadbox' to make any perceivable difference in a domestic application, and only then if much else was going on - rural, sagging and unreliable power- supplies being such things.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

You're not in a very good mood today.

Reply to
Meat Plow

He's still right. It's a sham.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

I didn't say he was wrong.

Reply to
Meat Plow

What else would you expect from someone whose eBay store name was "WeHonest"?

steve

Reply to
Steve Wolfe

I'm in a perfectly fine mood actually.

The article in question is unimitigated total ga-ga nonsense.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

factor

their

Most of the non-unity power factor loads in a domestic situation have nothing to do with the phase angle issues caused by motors and the like that can be corrected with capacitance.

Capacitors will not help the power factor of most (until recently) electronic power supplies nor phase controlled loads.

Go and learn some stuff about this before talking crap about it again will you ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

A set of jumper cables would work much better. Just be sure that the power company doesn't catch you or you'll be behind bars. They don't take stealing electricity lightly.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy