Just when you thought you had seen it all

Just when you thought you had seen it all:

Jan Panteltje

That proposal has been around for years -- is it actually in production?

I like German. In English we say "Amplifier", and if you don't speak Latin you don't know it means "something to make things bigger". In German they say "Verstaerker" -- more or less "(thing) for stronger (making)". You could drag a German speaker forward in time from the year

1800, point to a box and say "Das ist ein Verstaerker" and he'd have a notion of what it is. Pull an English speaker forward in time, point at the box and say "that's an amplifier" and he'll have no clue what you meant.
--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

If you like German, Mark Twain's rant on it might amuse you:

I busted a gut.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

This is very old news. Meanwhile, carmakers and lawmakers are considering adding noisemakers to hybrid cars.

John

On a sunny day (Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:30:37 -0500) it happened Tim Wescott wrote in :

They say it will be incorporated in a next Audio Diesel model, so yes it seems to exist and be in production.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:09:52 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Oops, AUDI diesel.

LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Clearly too much "fahrt"ing ;-)

My '61 Dauphine was so quiet I would sneak up to jaywalkers in Cambridge, then sound the horn to see how high I could make them jump ;-) ...Jim Thompson

The confession that you ever owned a dauphine would be considered very dodgy in some quarters :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

I once worked with a guy who was more or less bilingual (Mexican/English) and he was showing me a piece of equipment with a big motor in it; he was explaining how they'd built it, and he said, "we had to amplify the space there to make room for the motor..."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Take note of the date... and it cost me $1345 brand new... and it never failed me... sold it in '68 to a friend who finally succeeded in chipping a gear tooth.

That said, I will 'fess up... sleeve block never saw anything but distilled water; it came sans oil filter, I salvaged the adapter from a junk yard Caravelle, so it had oil filtration after about one year; it also sported the latest in alternators and my regulator designs; it never had A/C, thus the '64 Dodge Dart purchase when the two-year-old (daughter, that is) balked at leaving Sears one day, so I went up Camelback Road and bought the Dart on the spot ;-) ...Jim Thompson

They need that on leaf blowers.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

On a sunny day (Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:36:52 -0400) it happened ehsjr wrote in :

Motorbikes too?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Agreed, cars like that were ok as long as expectations were low and you treated them with respect. I'm probably a similar age to you and many in our group started in 60's student days rebuilding motor cycle engines on bedsit floors into the night so that they could be ridden the next day. Same with cars and they were often driven hard to the extent that engine rebuilds and swaps happened several times a year. We learned by doing, collecting toolkits over the years

In england, you could buy mot failures for next to nothing and they often didn't need too much work to get back on the road after trips to the local junkyard. We had little money, but still found ways to make the cars go much, much faster and had loads of fun in the process. Even now, I still do all the maintenance. partly because it gets me out of the lab for a bit of exercise, keeps the mech eng skills up and I know then that the job's been done right. With garage rates in the uk at anything beteen 50 to 200 pounds per hour, it saves a load of cash as well. So many basically servicable cars get scrapped because the owner can't afford the labour rates to get them fixed, never mind the parts...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Oh, yes! I remember it well. As a student I made ~$19 per week ;-) You had to be a wee bit clever to survive on that, particularly if already married, as I was ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Late at night, by candle light, Rich Grise penned this immortal opus:

He got the word "enlarge" mixed up with the Spanish equivalent "ampliar".

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

so...

Subwoofer amplifiers too.

Oh, wait...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Nah - they make them noisy on purpose, just to piss people off.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 22:44:51 +0100, ChrisQ wrote: ...

I once worked at a shop where they had a sign,

Labor Rates: $30.00/hr If you watch: $40.00/hr If you help: $60.00/hr If your kid helps: $100.00/hr

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise