do you know geometry?

Start with a sheet of stiff paper, and a pen. Draw an outline of a shape, such that when cut out with scissors, it will fold into a cube. You're permiited to draw interior folding lines.

Everyone here will regard this as trivial. But I've tested it on 6 people, and only 2 got it the first try. Try it on your friends and business associates.

--
Rich
Reply to

It's obvious, or should be to any engineer. You just envision a box, and unfold it in your head.

It's basically a Christian cross.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Every time I try that the paper just stays flat.

I think you need special paper...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

You can do it with a *square* piece of paper.

Reply to
Don Y

Weird.. do they only do five 'pieces' a base and four sides?

Reply to
George Herold

My problems are the interior folding lines. When I try to draw them, I don't have an interior anymore. There is something Zenish going on here.

mike

--
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my
reasons for them!

Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply to
m II

Just be in the box.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

So...you're implying that it's my *unfolding* of the box that causes the interior to disappear...This three dimensional space of yours is certainly taking getting used to.

mike

--
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my
reasons for them!

Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply to
m II

--- Or:

_ _ _ _ _ _ | | | | |_ _|_ _|_ _| | | |_ _| | | |_ _| | | |_ _|

Or:

_ _ _ _ | | | |_ _|_ _|_ _ | | | |_ _|_ _| | | |_ _| | | |_ _|

Or:

_ _ _ _ | | | |_ _|_ _| | | |_ _|_ _ | | | |_ _|_ _| | | |_ _|

Or:

_ _ _ _ | | | |_ _|_ _| | | |_ _| | | |_ _|_ _ | | | |_ _|_ _|

Or:

_ _ | | |_ _|_ _ | | | _ _|_ _|_ _| | | | |_ _|_ _| | | |_ _|

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

Maybe because there are so many ways it can be done? I thought of 2 ways in less than 2 minutes and quit because it is so simple.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Check.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I'm an athiest, can I use a T that's 3 units wide & 4 units tall with a

1 unit line thickness?
Reply to
Brendon

--
Six, exactly.
Reply to

It's that small a number only if you restrict yourself to those configurations in which each face of the cube must consist of a single square cut out from the original sheet, and joins can occur only at the face-to-face edges of the cube. That's a limitation which was

*not* specified in the original statement of the problem.

If even one face of the cube is allowed to be made from two or more non-overlapping (but exactly-joining) sub-faces made up of non-square portions of the shape that you cut out (i.e. these sub-faces meet in the middle of one of the cube's faces), then there are an infinite number of cutout shapes which will qualify.

Reply to
David Platt

Exactly. There was no mention as to how *complex* the folding process was expected to be.

(Nor any mention as to whether or not the folded paper would *hold* the shape of its own accord)

Yes. I know of at least two different ways of folding a perfectly *square* piece of paper into a cube (without the benefit of scissors). I could probably come up with more if pressed...

And, by extension, any rectangular piece of paper (I think all I need is a right angle, somewhere).

You just have to NOT think in "pedestrian" turns. Think outside the box -- er, *cube*! :>

Reply to
Don Y

--
Arghhh...

Nice catch; That completely eluded me earlier.
Thank you.
Reply to
John Fields

How big is the cube going to be? Your light on design input;)

I got a 11 x 17" piece of paper here.....

Am I allowed to use a ruler?

Martin Riddle

there's several shapes that work

[][][] [][][] [] [][][] [][] possibly posibly others too...

--

?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I stopped looking after finding 8

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

That can't be right. John Fields has declared that there are only six.