dimmer return update, a little OT but thought I would share

Ok, so after the awful burning up of the dimmer, it took several days for the seller to finally agree to take the 3 I originally ordered back (1 burned, 2 unused). Something to keep in mind. Take a look at seller returns. If they don't say "30 day free returns" for their policy, look for someone else! At least regarding items like this. This guy had returns but seller pays shipping, which I adamantly refused. It took several days of standing firm once I opened a case along with photos of the insides of the burned dimmer with a final threat that I would get my money back on the date eBay was allowed to "step in." That date would have been this coming Friday. The seller finally agreed. Looks like he's Chinese because he must have asked multiple times if I wanted to get it repaired or was I sure I didn't want a new one. NO, I want to return them all for full refund and you pay shipping because they are not as described and I consider them unsafe. After plugging in shipping estimates today, I can see why he was so concerned. He sent them in a cushioned bag, but not taking any chances in case he claims damaged upon return, I was going to return them in a fairly large box... at a cost of more than $50 US. Wow! Not sure what's happened and I guess I have been out of selling for a while now, but never expected a rate like that! So, I will reuse his bag, send insured, keep records and screenshots of everything and he will pay it all. If not, I will have all records for eBay if/when the time comes. All this because seller didn't have "free 30 day returns". By the way, sending them back in his bag will cost $16.90 insured.

I had a Chinese power supply arrive DOA a month ago. Seller had "free

30 day returns." I started the return process and within a few hours was the Paypal refund. Before the refund, I had received the link for the shipping label. When sellers are refunding before you send back the item, are you still supposed to send it back with the prepaid shipping label, or not? Up to now, I have sent them back.

Just some info you may find useful... or not.

Reply to
Chuck

More important than anything else you might do would be to leave direct and honest feedback. This may, possibly, help the next potential victim (oops, buyer, that is).

Friends do not let friends buy from China (when there is any possible alternative).

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

I am considering it and it would be the first time, in the 25 years I have been registered on eBay, that I left a negative feedback. Really, this seller should have not haggled on this and refunded immediately especially after I submitted the pictures. Not being set up in the correct way, however, meant that he can't even have a prepaid label made.

Reply to
Chuck

I think that's the fair and honorable thing to do... you're honoring the terms of the refund offer, as the seller is trusting you to do. Not sending back the product would be a violation of that trust (and the contract of the sale).

The exception would be if the seller tells you that there's no need to return the bad unit. I've had this happen occasionally, when the unit in question was either irreparably damaged in shipment (the package must have gotten caught in a transport-belt gearbox) or where it was probably not economically feasible to repair it (a replacement battery for a cellphone which apparently had a bad control chip and wasn't "seen" by the phone). The battery vendor just asked that I dispose of the dead unit properly via an e-waste collection, rather than throwing it into the trash.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Actually, with the horrible smell that this one dimmer still produces from the left over residue, I have no choice but to keep the sealed and ready to ship package outdoors just in a location where rain won't bother it. It would have been a good candidate for just throwing out, but sending it along with the two unused ones. Just waiting on the seller's return address.

I did have one item I actually tossed a couple of years ago and that was a replacement mercury vapor ballast for one that failed after many years. Within a short time, the replacement also failed and smoked up the outdoor container it was in badly enough that I had to replace that too along with a new ballast. In that case, the seller just wanted to see pictures and then told me to throw it away. That sealed ballast, being outdoors, did trip the breaker when it went bad but not before smoking up its chassis.

Reply to
Chuck

Chuck wrote: ============

** Pics of the damage you caused by stupidity ?

You have been less than honest about what you were *really* doing all along.

What PSU was used ?? What LED lights ? Did you make a wiring error ?

You sound like an expert at blame shifting.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Uh, excuse me, but I have already made myself quite clear and won't elaborate further. If you doubt, then order one and have a load drawing 13.8 VDC at 7 A from a linear supply and see what happens in a few hours. You said before that the 12-24 V was missing information. Who would ever know that it is only a 12V device because that's not what they advertise. In addition to no heatsinking. I think I've been clear. I thought you were helping, but now I question YOUR motives.

Reply to
Chuck

Chuck the Troll puked: ==================

** So now you post two, great big lies. Now I know you are hiding the truth.

Thanks for removing all doubt.

** Not what I wrote at all - liar.
** That is nothing like what I wrote !!. -------------------------------------------------------

You are one pig ignorant ass aren't you ?

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Chuck:

In short order, you will learn several things about the drongo from down-under:

a) The sun shines from its fundament, and only from its fundament. Whatever else you might see is only a poor substitute for the sun, so do not be mistaken! b) Were it to behave face-to-face as it does here, it would be dead. Australians are not anywhere near as tolerant as Brits or Americans of that sort of idiocy. c) It is on very powerful meds. When it takes them properly, it is not a half-bad tech. When it does not, it remains a not-half-bad tech, but all you will see is that other half.

In general, it is best ignored.

Reply to
Peter W.

Took me by surprise, started off good and then, bam, about face, day to night, whatever. I'd hate to be his neighbor, family, or even his pet! In any case, I'll no longer see his posts after his tirade.

Reply to
Chuck

Chuck wrote: ============

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ** FYI Mr Shithead:

Peter Weike is a vile, raving lunatic and a public menace on usenet.

The geriatric fool is actually is a jumped up radio ham with mental issues and a huge dose of ASD or autism.

I *was* happy to assist you till I realised you were a dishonest little shit scamming you way through life.

Have a rotten day.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On that note, every day is a rotten day for the drongo from down-under. It has my sympathy, but not my respect.

Reply to
Peter W.

Looks like he must have responded to my comment since you responded. Do yourself a favor (maybe?) and plonk him like I did. No point in introducing more craziness into a world that is already crazy enough!

Reply to
Chuck

If you check the headers, you'll see that Peter W. uses google groups to post -- which means he has no killfile capability and can't have his newsreader hide his postings.

Reply to
Don't Feed The Troll

My Google Filter Message-ID:googlegroups.com

KenW

Reply to
KenW

==================

Get off this NG - or I will make you.

......... love, Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

One, you can't -- Usenet does not give you that power.

Two, Chuck has killfiled you, so he will not see any of your outbursts again. That's what the "plonk"

means.

Chuck is able to killfile you because unlike you, who is using that awful google groups web UI, he uses a real newsreader and so he can add you to a list (the killfile) in his newsreader to have it automatically ignore your rants.

Reply to
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

This should be interesting to watch.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Some things to keep in mind.

The Drongo from down-under is:

a) Alone. b) Owns nothing other than what is on its back and a few accessories thereto. c) Neither friends, nor family, nor pets. d) Only those neighbors that perforce share the flat complex in which it squats. e) Is very likely older than I am - and therefore there no prospects of anything ever getting any better for it.

As previously noted - a creature to be pitied - not one due any respect.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

** Peter Weike is a vile, raving lunatic and a public menace on usenet.

The geriatric f*****ad is actually a *jumped up radio ham* with mental issues and a huge dose of ASD or autism.

But he is not to be pitied for his condition.

He is to be despised.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison