Orion TV STV2763 "Dead"

Hi,

I have an Orion TV model STV2763 (mfg 11/02) in my shop that is "dead". No blown fuse or shorted H.O.T. I checked the loads on the Reg outputs and found no shorts. I scoped the reg B+ line and plugged in the TV. The B+ would "shoot" up to aprox. 106V, then slowly drop down to aprox 64V, then "shoot" up again (cycling). Note: I do not have SM.

Customer said, "tv was off when they lost power (no storm). After the power was restored, the TV wouldn't turn on."

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

Reply to
Brad

Do you have a variac, and, if so, will it start up at reduced AC so you can troubleshoot all circuits while it is working? Even if there are no shorts, there may be a load that is too heavy for the power supply.

Since the set was connected apparently during the power down and power up, something in the supply itself may be hurt.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

I have found that Orion, Memorex and Apex, all seem to suffer from badly manufactured (startup) diodes. The diodes, individually check out okay on the diode tester but when you plug the TV in some diodes go right open. (sometimes intermittently)

Suggestion; measure the source voltage and then the voltage drop across any suspected diode.

--
"The preferred method of entering a building is to use a tank main gun
round, direct fire artillery round, or TOW, Dragon, or Hellfire missile to

sounds like bad cap's to me... in psu (primary/sec. side)

Jan Rasmussen.

Reply to
Jan Rasmussen