Old style filament lamps?

I assume you suffer from protanopia or deuteranopia. My father did. (I don't.)

I worked with a guy with that problem. One day he asked me to help him pick colors for a Web site. It was causing him all kinds of confusion. I showed him a fluorescent-green pen, and asked him what color it looked to him -- "Orange". (That doesn't mean he saw it in the way a person with normal color vision would see orange. Rather, he could not distinguish it from what we would call orange.)

Peter Wensberg, the author of "Land's Polaroid" (a beautifully written and wonderfully entertaining book) told how, during a lunch of Chinese takeout, Dr Land administered one of the standard color perception tests (the kind with colored circles, where you indicate which letter or number you see). Wensberg utterly flunked it, getting every one wrong.

I've lived with fluorescent light for more than 60 years, and have never suffered (except in my early days at Microsoft, when the office lights gave me (and some others) headaches). It appears to me that your suffering is primarily aesthetic.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I'm not backpedaling in the least. They do, indeed, come on instantly. You ASSUMED that "come on" means "light at full brightness".

Consider tubular fluorescent lights. Many DO NOT come on instantly. But when they do light, it's at full brightness -- at THAT instant, which could be considered the point of turn-on.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Refrigerator bulbs represent such a small percentage of energy consumption there would be no point in switching to CFLs.

Once the color problems with LEDs are solved, there will no doubt be an LED refrigerator lamp.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Very Orwellian, and I suspect this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Rather than fawning all over the "royal couple" (it's hard to imagine a more worthless set of parasitical leeches than the "royal" family), it may be time for the Brits to start planning revolution.

Of course we have our own problems with these enviro-nazi types on our side of the pond as well. When a ban on incandescents was planned here I stocked up and have a basement with a lifetime supply of good ol' 100 watt bulbs.

  "Climate policy has almost nothing to do anymore with environmental
   protection... the next world climate summit in Cancun is actually
   an economy summit during which the distribution of the world's
   resources will be negotiated." -- Ottmar Edenhofer, IPCC
Roger Blake

That's an interesting point. If 12% of the population is aflicted with a gentic disorder, or one caused by a disease or trauma, then the National Health should provide them with incadescent bulbs and a susbidy for electricity to run them.

I know the US has the "Americans with Disabilities Act" that would require it, and I'm sure there is something in British or EU law like that.

I would persue it based on what the National Health does for people with macular degeneration and work backwards. At what point is the inability to see defined and where does color blindness affect your daily life.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.

Besides outdoor lighting where I needed hundreds of watts of incandesent lighting, I used the first for indoor lighting in places that traditionally have lights on timers. In a windowless bathroom an 8 watt CFL provides enough light at so low a cost I just leave them on.

After all a timer uses electricty too, and figuring out when to have it go on and off without leaving people in the dark is an art.

We don't turn lights on or off during the Sabbath, and used to leave the main light in our apartment on all Friday night. We installed a timer to turn it off at midnight (when the last of us goes to sleep) and on again at six AM, (when the first of us gets up), but it will take 200 weeks to even out the cost of the timer and installation versus the cost of electricity. By that time, we will have long since moved out. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

It's time for the villagers to gather their pitchforks and burning torch, and storm that infestation in Belgium.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

There are small LED replacements that may fit a refrigerator.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have several motion sensor lights in my house so I don't have to search for a light switch when I have my hands full, or I'm half asleep.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

As I've said on a number of occasions, linear flourescent light doesn't affect me in anything like the same way as CFL. I can read perfectly well under it. I work perfectly well under it. I don't find the light displeasing in either colour or quality. I don't know how to reconcile this apparent disparity, as I too have lived under flourescent light for over fifty years. I don't know what my type of colour blindness is called, nor whether it is common in type, or rare. I am apparently red blind and green insensitive, as far as I recall. It is many years since I took the test. I think it meant that I couldn't see some shades of red at all, when they were mixed in with other colours, and that I couldn't distinguish some shades of green amongst other shades of green. Oddly enough though, the light from CFLs always appears to have a slightly 'sick' green caste to me, irrespective of the quoted colour temperature.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Not wishing to be rude, Roger, but what exactly is it that you purport to know about my country's Royal Family in general, or indeed the couple who today got married, that gives you the right to rubbish them in this way ? For the most part, they work very hard in ambassadorial roles for our country around the world. The one that got married today is a nice enough lad who's a serving officer in our military, and his new wife is a very nice girl who is not herself from a royal background. I have seen little evidence of people 'fawning' over this event. Most seem genuinely pleased for them, and if, in these difficult and depressing financial times, the occasion provides the general population with a bit of a boost, what's wrong with that ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks Geo.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

Adrian: I phoned this morning but it appears as you suspected that Mr Wright supplies only to those visiting his shop. He did say he'd have a think and "talk to Adrian...". However, I'm pleased to say I've now found another local source. I bought 20 x 60W and they've ordered the same number of 100W.

BTW, I was surprised to learn that no 'pearl' types are now made, all are clear glass.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

Yes Terry. See my other posts making mention of this. Apparently, pearlised types were the first to be phased out, because they consume more energy to make than clear ones. Oh brother ! And I suppose that CFLs, with their hundreds of manufacturing processes, don't ... ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

wed

--

we

and

nd

).

ing

rs.

as

th

st

Linear flourescent tubes usually uses a type of phosphor called halophosphate. That phosphor normally emits light in a very narrow band of the spectrum, and since you are collor blind, probably what happens is that your eyes are fully sensitive to that particular band. In the other had, halophosphate phosphors aren=B4t suitable for CFL=B4s because they produce less light output than triphosphors. A triphosphor can be seen like a mix of three different phosphors, each one emitting in a particular band. The sum of all three produces the light coming from the CFL tube. Probably you are blind to one of these bands, making you uncomfortable with the light.

This is just a theory, of course.

Reply to
lsmartino

Thanks for letting me know, I'll pass the information on to him. He didn't seem at all keen on posting them when I spoke to him this morning, the chance of breakage is too high.

The website was intended to draw in local trade and his stock changes so rapidly that I have never managed to get it up to date.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

pick

showed

--=20

color

we

and

takeout,

kind

see).

gave

I don't think so. Expanding beyond just fluorescent versus incandescent we can observe more of what is being discussed. For most people, mercury vapor (MV) lighting is easier to read by but tends to make people look ghastly, especially in photographs. On the other hand people look better and photographs look better with high pressure sodium (HPS) lighting, and many find it easier to see large objects especially at very low light levels, but reading is more difficult. It is primarily a matter of spectral intensities and the placement of the various strong lines. Many comparisons of MV vs HPS lighting are available but most rarely touch on these issues, especially the reading and fine resolution issue. Now that white (fluorescent) LED lighting is becoming more available with yet different color balances, the whole subject becomes even more = complicated.

Reply to
josephkk

you

Despot

that

incandescent

output

its

30

ago.

Mine are 'faster' still. Hitting about 85% to 90% faster than i can detect with my eyes, say under 100 ms.

Reply to
josephkk

UK

'equivalent'

Agreed, i have always had to go one lamp higher output.

than

Reply to
josephkk

Nice explanation, and seems on the face of it, to hold water. Good that someone can actually come up with a reasonable theory, instead of telling me that the problem doesn't affect them, therefore I must be wrong, or using the wrong CFLs. I really have tried to embrace these lamps since their first inception, but the fact is that for practical reasons, as discussed, I simply cannot get on with them. Yes, I hate the fact that they have been forced on us for dubious reasons of ecology, and I freely admit that does colour my perception of them a little, but my fundamental problem with them is just that - they are a problem to my (obviously defective) eyesight.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily