Old style filament lamps?

(Re-posted from the lower traffic sci.electronics.misc group.)

Does anyone know where I can buy 'normal' filament lamp bulbs in the UK please? I just cannot get on with the new economy type. My remaining stock of 60W and 100W is dwindling rapidly.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

"Terry Pinnell"

** AFAIK- even if you came across a stock it is illegal now for anyone to sell them to you.

Have a look for the high efficiency halogen bulbs that are made in the same style as regular BC and ES 40 watt and 60 watt bulbs. Rated at 2000 hours and bit whiter light but rather more expensive.

Legally on sale all over Australia, but not sure about the UK.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Reply to
Adrian Tuddenham

"Adrian Tuddenham"

** Have you rung the phone number?

Does ma or pa Wright answer ??

Looks like a ghost web site to me.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I've been using Home Depot's store brand -- EcoSmart -- for several years. Consumer Reports recently gave them a very high rating.

No color temp or rendering quality is specified. But the balance is on the warm side. It's acceptable (in my opinion) for non-critical color photography.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Similar ones are available here in Israel. I assume since we use the same electrical system as the UK, they are available there too.

There are also cheap junk, but I avoid them.

BTW, I've been using them since the late 1990's and CFLs keep getting cheaper, more efficient and on the whole better. They are not perfect, and we still use incandescent bulbs in some places, but 99% of the light in my home is from either CFLs or the old fashioned long ones.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.

It's amazing that, despite their generally poor color rendering, tubular FLs have long been tolerated in kitchens and workspaces.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Do you mean that your light fittings cannot accomodate the larger compact fluorescent bulbs?

If so, there are halogen bulbs available in the same form factor as the old incandescent filament bulbs. These are classed as lower energy than a standard incandescent and can be purchased from most supermarkets and DIY stores. See the link below:

They give you full brightness at switch on unlike compact fluorescents that take time to warm-up.

--
M.Joshi
Reply to

I can't quantify it, but I have a much brighter tubular floursecent lamp over my head because of the color problems. It seems I need a lot more light to read with them than an incadescent one.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Thursday is early closing day in Bath; it's when he goes to the wholesalers to stock up. Try again tomorrow.

Nope - just under delayed construction. I'm the webmaster and I'm waiting for more info.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Thanks Adrian. Phoned at 7pm but I see they're closed all day Thursdays anyway. I'll try again on Saturday after the Wedding. Doesn't look like they have any online ordering but presumably they will despatch? Bath's a little too far to justify the trip!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

Who is going to arrest you for selling incandescent bulbs? The bulb police?

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to

nyone

I remember when Detroiters would cross into Canada to buy 5 gallon flush toilets. Good times.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

He told me he intends to open the shop tomorrow (Friday).

I warned him that, if he had a website, people would expect him to do mail order, but I don't know if he is ready for it yet.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Yes, but...

The better CFLs are quite bright at turn-on -- bright enough that you don't feel you bought a defective lamp.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

excellent

Although many CFL's list the color temperature (2700K is roughly equivalent to incandescent), they rarely list the CRI (Color Rendering Index). That gives an idea on how well a bulb displays all colors.

law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cable.mendelson.com:

maybe color rendering isn't that important compared to seeing what you're doing.The eye/brain manages to compensate,excpet under low light levels.

Besides,tungsten lighting(2700K or 3200K) isn't all that "color accurate" itself. That's why color photo film came in tungsten variety,for better color rendering for that color temp lighting. Even digital cameras have a setting for color temp(my cheapo Polaroid does),not that people use them as they should.

you need color rendering accuracy to READ?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It _is_ important in photography, where color accuracy is of considerably greater significance than "seeing what you're doing".

accurate"

In this context, that's not really correct. Any continuous-spectrum lighting source that's free of holes or peaks in its spectrum inherently has "perfect" rendering. All it needs is a filter (or RGB gain adjustment) to give correct rendering for any color temperature.

CFLs generally have discontinuous spectra, and vary widely in rendering accuracy. The photographic CFLs in my Lowell ego lights are rated at 93%, which is fairly good.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I don't know about 'colour rendering accuracy', Jim, but I too find it extremely difficult to read under CFLs as opposed to incandescent light sources. I imagine that it is just some characteristic that my eyes have developed as I've gotten older, and my sight overall, has declined compared to when I was young. Perhaps I am in a minority of people that suffer in this way, but trust me, it is very real. Oddly enough though, I have no trouble at all reading or working under linear flourescent light, irrespective of the quoted colour composition (eg warm white, daylight etc) of said tubes.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Nice one, Ade. Duly placed in my Favourites folder ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily