Old style filament lamps?

The originals of these were very good - when they used a pearlised outer envelope. But note the picture in your link shows a clear enveloped capsule bulb in a clear outer envelope. Unfortunately, this leads to them producing a 'harsh' light with sharp shadows. Which is precisely why pearlisation of the envelope of incandescent bulbs, was introduced in the first place. I have wall lights in my lounge, which use R50 reflectors. They shine up onto the ceiling, and used to produce a nice diffuse light from the pearl-fronted bulb envelope. But now, they are only available with a clear-fronted envelope, and the consequence of this is that the blue glass shade which used to glow nice and evenly, now has light and dark stripes in it, and the light that falls on the ceiling, is an image of the filament. I also have a four lamp fixture here in the computer room, which uses the same bulb type. The room used to be nice and bright all over. Now, with clear fronted bulbs fitted, it doesn't matter where you point each individual spot-lamp, the room is a sea of shadows and pools of light. Gawd, how I hate all this eco-bollox nonsense ... >:-(

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The operative word being "quite". I thought you said that your Home Despot types came on quicker than an incandescent. Certainly doesn't sound that way from that description ... And as far as I'm concerned, any incandescent replacement technology lamp that does not produce the *full* light output within a few mS of switch on, or is ambient temperature dependant for its performance, *is* a defective lamp.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

the

that

True. But the subjective balance is excellent. The Home Depot bulbs are good enough for color photography.

I've been involved in photography for over 40 years. If the better CFLs weren't "good", I wouldn't use them.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

way

The Home Depot lamps come on instantly at a level I'd judge to be around

60% -- maybe higher -- of full brightness. Full brightness takes another 30 seconds or so. This is a huge improvement over the bulbs from 15 years ago.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck

pot

ut

ts

30

o.

On one of our stairways, the ceiling light is two identical CFL's. They come on instantly, at about 80% of full brightness, enought to see where the top and bottome steps are, so it is not a safety hazard. I woudl guess that they reach full brightness in 10 sec or so, just about the time I have traversed the staircase. I have them all over the house except in dimmable fixtures. I haven't been able to stomach the cost of the dimmable lights, and we can still buy the full range of incandescent lamps here in the USA.

Reply to
hrhofmann

"Meat Plow"

** Here, all that has to happen is someone report the shop keeper to the relevant Energy Authority.

They would end up being fined for breaching the regulation called " MEPS" = minimum energy performance standard in relation to selling non compliant lamps.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

30

ago.

The Home Depot lights are X10-dimmable, though marked as not dimmable.

You need to use a wall-switch lamp controller. These do not interrogate the lamp to see if the switch has been turned on or off, so you don't get flickering when the lamp is off.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

.

Probably warm / soft white; any other fluorescent is horror movie lighting. If you don't have the color temp spec, hold a lit, known temperature bulb next to it and see if it looks redder, bluer, or the same.

Reply to
Father Haskell

pot

ut

ts

30

o.

Nothing I've seen on the market today equals the Panasonic CFLs of years ago, either in time to full output or longevity.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Arfa: Agreed. My feelings exactly.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

No, my gripes are more basic: I like instant light when I flick a switch and I like bright light to work and read by. I also resent what seems to be downright misleading statements by the manufacturers about 'equivalent' ratings. I've never found one that warrants the claim.

Thanks, I'll investigate and try a few, although from what I've read up-thread it sounds as if I'll still favour the old filament types.

That link gave me a nice picture but can anyone recommend a specific 60W and 100W UK supplier please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

"Terry Pinnell"

** Arfa has admitted to being colour blind.

So you are too - it seems.

Have trouble with 1% resistor codes do we???

12% of all males are colour blind - ie they fail one of the basic tests.

Only 1 or 2% of females are so afflicted - but THEY are the CARRIERS !

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

CPC Farnell LP00298 100W BC PEARL £4.72 (inc VAT) for 10

They do not seem to do 60 watt but our local high street electrical shop still sells both.

Reply to
Geo

I don't have a way of quantifying it, but a continous source is much easier for me to use as a reading lamp. So a 20 watt halogen lamp on "low" is easier to read than an 11 watt flourescent at the same distance.

Farther away it works the same way too, but I no longer have an incandesent lamps except for special purpose ones (reading lamps, photgraphic safelights, etc) to do an eaual distance comparison.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.

That's my biggest problem with CFL's. I can live with the color problems, I can live with the slow startup, but what bothers me is the extremely bright end sticking beyond the fixture causing my eyes to compensate when I look in that direction, making the rest of the room too dark until I look away and they recover.

It's very annoying that while I have several globe fixtures that perfectly well took 75 watt incadescent bulbs, there are no similar CFLs. Even the short curly ones don't fit in the same space once they get beyond the equivalent of a 40 watt incadescent bulb. :-(

Also what do you put in a refrigerator?????

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Or £6.99 for 10 (post free) on ebay:- item no. 230611860137

Reply to
Geo

Yes indeed - I am colour blind, and if that is what makes the difference between someone who does have an issue with CFLs, and someone who doesn't, then 12% - one eighth - of the population being forced to suffer because of this legislation, seems a pretty poor show of arrogance by the powers that be, in insisting that we suffer in the way that we are being made to ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It is difficult to specify a "color temperature" for a non-continuous source.

The bare bulbs look "white", leaning a bit to the warm side.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

With all due respect William, that is the most feeble justification that you have come up with so far. It's like the government banning cars and making everybody buy bikes instead, and then turning round and saying that riding a bike is still better than when you had to walk before the bike was invented ... If it has taken 15 years so far to get these dreadful things from total crap to utter crap, then by the time they are actually at a point where they can properly replace incandescent lamps, I will be a pile of dust anyway. I'm afraid that I cannot, by any stretch of my imagination, equate "60%" and "30 seconds" to either "instant" or satisfactory replacement technology. If they really were 'good', they wouldn't need defending against all of the criticisms that are levelled against them by (colour blind ??) people the world over.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily