Video projector lamps

The inkjet printer syndrome. Why pay for a new set of inks when a whole new printer costs only a little more than that. Another thrown out video projector, all that clever technology , just because a replacement bulb is near enough the cost of a whole new projector. Anyone know of a supply of generic basic discharge lamps, intended for fanned operation? This one, from the manual, was 210 watt NSH lamp, NSH = ??? = something metalic nickel? (N ?) Sodium Halide ? I have a few 150W "Power Star" discharge lamps that will physically just about fit in the available space. Used in floodlights they don't need fans, projector versions , as fan cooled , are physically smaller. In a luminaire these 150W lamps take 0.55 to 0.6 amp at 240 V mains , in use. Tried one on the projector with a 12V 50W filament halogen lamp in series as a bit of a dropper. With ammeter in mains supply , overall current (including SMPS and fans etc) was 0.8 amp for 10 seconds or so and then jumped to 1.2 amp to full brightness. I chickened out then and switched off. Where to go next ? Next time I will dig out an old analogue ammeter (concerned about the presumed 4 or 5 KV starter/igniter) and place in series with the lamps. No mention in the manual of this initial power step but it is the same with my other projector so presumably generically normal. 6 wires connect to the ballast/choke so presumably there is active switching of parts of the choke which maybe selectively disableable and not monitored by the controller. I can live with reduced light output, my other one has a preset option and is set for half power maximum on normal user brightness control. Any other ideas ?

Reply to
N_Cook