fake Edison lamps

The LED Edison lamps are cool. They seem to have a bridge rectifier
and a current limiter chip in the base. Does anyone know how the fake
filament parts are constructed?

Re: fake Edison lamps
On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 20:05:44 -0400, Tony Stewart

Good grief, hundreds of LEDs and all that glass and stuff, for around
$3.

Re: fake Edison lamps

awful lot of manual work compared to this, https://youtu.be/lonH47U9iFo

Re: fake Edison lamps

Yes imagine the cost if it were "Made in the USA"

Re: fake Edison lamps

then the first human hand to touch any part of it would likely the one
taking it out of the box and installing it

Re: fake Edison lamps
I've been meaning to ask: How much does a traditional
incandescent bulb cost in the US?

Here in India where labour is still cheaper than in the West, a
100W bulb cost 10 Indian rupees for decades and has recently
increased to Rs.15 which, at the current rate of exchange, is
about US$0.20. A 9W LED bulb is $1-1.20. 20W 4-ft tubes are
around $3-3.50 including the holder bracket.

Re: fake Edison lamps

Classic incandescents are illegal here now, but there are a lot of
loopholes, for "specialized" ones. Looks like $1 to $2 mostly, on
Amazon.

Science teaches us to doubt.

Re: fake Edison lamps
Pimpom wrote:

------------

** And ALL of them use 5 to 20 times their purchase price in electricity during their expected life.

Do the math.

.....  Phil

Re: fake Edison lamps
Oh, most people have switched to LED even though incandescents
are not outlawed yet. I was just curious about the price
difference with Western countries. Incandescents still have niche
applications such as when the light *and* heat they generate is used.

The 4-ft tubes I mentioned are also LEDs. Fluorescent tubes cost
half of that. Most new houses use recessed LED fixtures rather
than incandescent-style bulbs and tubes.

Re: fake Edison lamps
y during their expected life.

There is some irony in that the fluorescent tubes are nearly as efficient a
s LEDs.  I am happy to switch when the fluorescents give up the ghost becau
se the LEDs last longer.  I probably have a dozen of these fixtures around
and get tired of keeping the bulbs working.

I installed an LED upgrade to one of the old metal fixtures.  The people se
lling them seemed to have thought of everything.  The LEDs are on aluminum
substrate circuit strips about a foot or so long.  Two or three of them fit
 nicely in the fixture along with the power supply.  The circuit strips wer
e held in place with magnets, so no drilling required.  The only problem wa
s there was no diffuser and each LED was a separate point source of light t
hrowing dozens of shadows on the work surface.  It was really weird and I c
ouldn't stand it.  The power supply crapped out after a couple of months an
d even though the guy sent me a new one, I never used it again.  The LED fi
xtures are down to $20 buck or so and it's just not worth the tiny savings
to deal with those shadows.

Very strange effect.

At one time Costco had LED fixtures with a motion sensor.  I put up three o
f them in my cousin's basement and they work great!  The light comes on bef
ore you get to where you could turn it on with a pull cord and they put out
 a lot more light.  But I haven't seen those in the store for a long time.
 They cost maybe $5 more but were well worth it.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: fake Edison lamps
On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 19:19:34 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison

Especially if you have to pay for the electric energy yourself :-)

In some countries a lot of people make their own connections to the LV
lines and some directly to the distribution transformer LV side. How
many of these user lines are actually metered ?

Re: fake Edison lamps

Incandescent light bulbs used to be $0.25 at their cheapest when they were
common.  A 9W LED bulb would only be about a 40 W incandescent bulb.  I nev
er buy anything that small.  Most LED bulbs here are closer to $10 and up.
 Maybe $8 or even $6.  I used to pay $10 for a box of 10 4 ft fluorescent b
ulbs, but that was 20 years ago.  I buy 4 ft LED fixtures now.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: fake Edison lamps

LED bulbs used to be roughly in that price range here too. Things
changed after the central government launched an awareness
campaign by bulk ordering LEDs and made them available for $1.
The 4-foot tubes I mentioned are also LEDs. Fluorescent tubes
cost half of that.

Re: fake Edison lamps
l-filament-LED-E27-750x750.jpg

I can get you a metal enclosure with hundreds of tiny things in them for le
ss than a dollar!  The tiny things will be beans, or corn, or peas.  Lots o
f things are very inexpensive to make in large quantities.  When you think
about it, it's actually amazing how cheap it is to raise crops on such larg
e areas of land, make sure they get proper irrigation and nutrition so that
 the products can provide proper nutrition to us.

Pretty cool, no?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: fake Edison lamps

Yeah, and sandpaper: thousands of matched garnets, all that high-tech adhesive and
special paper, for around $1.

Re: fake Edison lamps

That's nothing.  I can buy billions of ohms for a few pennies, all in a
little box.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: fake Edison lamps
On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 14:16:05 -0700, John Larkin

Series string of LEDs on COG (chips on glass) which is then coated
with a phosphor:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_filament
<https://www.ledinside.com/knowledge/2015/2/the_next_generation_of_led_filament_bulbs

This is what a filament looks like at 5% of maximum power:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_filament#/media/File:LED_Filament_CloseUp_at_5_%_power.JPG

fake Edison lamps
Walmart has them.

Site Timeline