no display on monitor

Hi, After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
whwanthony

Hi...

During your install job you may have accidentally knocked the video card slightly out of its socket.. ?

Or perhaps the vga cable from the back of the case?

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Wouldn't even boot.

More likely. Also check if present the plug into the monitor.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Although most computers have a keyed connector for the IDE cables, it is possible on some to reverse this cable. If that is what you did, that would prevent the computer from booting.

Reply to
Ken

Actually, if the card was partially removed it would still boot, but have no video, and no error beeps either. I used to get that a lot when the cheap cases where around. The people would just pick up the case and poof, the cards would partially dislodge, giving that symptom. This especially true of PCI and older AGP cards.

Reply to
Tim

The OP says he can hear the familiar sound when Windows starts.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Never encountered a PC that would boot with a partially dislodged video card.

Reply to
Meat Plow

It's definitely sth wrong in pc, not monitor because I connect to another monitor and it's same thing. No display. I suspect sth wrong with video card since I already unplugged both dvd burner and hard drive boots no problem.

Reply to
whwanthony

| > Beemer | | It's definitely sth wrong in pc, not monitor because I connect to | another monitor and it's same thing. No display. I suspect sth wrong | with video card since I already unplugged both dvd burner and hard | drive boots no problem. | |

You need to post details of your video card and its software driver version, e.g. is it an ATI

Also if you change the driver to VGA only does the display then work?

Beemer

Reply to
Beemer

How can the OP change the driver if he can't see anything?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Hi...

If in fact it really is starting windows but he just can't see it, then he can let it start - but power off before windows finishes getting started. That way he might be able (after a gazillion tries) to boot into safe mode (which is vga)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

--
   Phil Munro                      Dept of Electrical & Computer Engin
   mailto:PcMunro@cc.ysu.edu               Youngstown State University