My PC video card goes out and ....

my video card went out and took my monitor, very strange...I know of video card failures but never seen one taking the monitor also...I walk to my computer and the monitor is dead,after troubleshooting, find out that the video card is dead and monitor....how can something like this happen???

I know I need to replace them but would like to see what to do so it doesnt happen again...

video card: Nvidia 128M Video out 3 years old

monitor: Princeton 17 inch 5 years old

thanks

Reply to
Amolao

Are you sure it was not the other way around? The monitor went out and took your video card? Happened with many people...

doesnt

Reply to
Eugen T

you might be right....any suggestions???

Reply to
Amolao

I've worked on a few Princeton monitors .. not constructed very well .. I was not impressed, but I fixed them for their owners.

If I had to recommend a monitor, I'd say ViewSonic or Samsung. As for video cards, I've always recommended ATI. Nvidia makes a good chipset, but they license the manufacture of cards to everyone and their brother .. thus you get a LOT a variation in the quality of Nvidia cards, depending on who made it.

YMMV

Reply to
Darmok