Tv commercial volume

Its getting worse on most tv stations now . they lower the program volume slowly through out the show . I can measure this by my volume bar on screen . I called one station and they admited to it . How about rasining enough interest to tv makes to install 3 level mute buttons on all new tv`s so we can `half` the volume instead of off or on .

Reply to
Ken G.

That shows the modulation level, does it?

Yup. It's called humouring an idiot.

--
*Work like you don't need the money.  Love like you've never been hurt.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just hit the mute when the commercials comes on

Reply to
Meat Plow

A basic commercial killer can be made for less than $20 in parts. A timer, switch and small housing are all you need.

I used an old remote control as a housing and have separate buttons for 30-second, 1-minute and 2-minute cutoffs. It mutes the sound and blanks the picture as well.

This is the last throes for commercial television. Between the internet, DVD availability of programming etc, not many people are still putting up with commercials.

Reply to
<nospam

If enough people complain to the FCC - they get the hint and take control. You can look up the FCC on the web.

L.

Reply to
Radiosrfun

Just this evening I had my TV up about 1/2 way to hear the volume of the show I was watching. A commercial came on - and you would have thought the damned thing was on full blast. Yikes!

Some things about commercials - be it their blasting volume, characters, words or music used - couldn't entice me to buy from them regardless what they're offering. Don't these clowns understand some effects are offensive?

Here is the web address for the FCC.

Radiosrfun

Actually, you might be able to do that already. My JVC TV allows you to select the volume level when "mute" is on. It can be completely silent, or just loud enough so you can barely hear it, or as loud/soft as you like. I haven't tinkered with it that much... it's menu-adjustable. Check your TV's manual and see.

Many years ago, a store called Harry's Hot Rod Shop in Dallas, TX had a funny series of animated ads that featured a wild-haired, screaming salesman. In particular I remember one quote: "How do we do it? VOLUME! Our commercials are LOUDER than anybody else's!!!"

Reply to
Matt J. McCullar

...or just automate the process:

JeffM

If they make the commercials much too loud then that could be very useful - just set up a threshold detector that activates the pause button when the audio is too loud whilst you're recording the show. Then you can watch it later with all of the commercials helpfully removed.

BTW. I remember reading that in Italy they made it illegal to make the commercials louder than the programme. Not sure if it's true, but a good idea.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Fine - but first you need some accurate way of measuring loudness. And despite what some claim it ain't been done yet.

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't know - I recall something along those lines, but I thougth it was the FCC contemplating a move such as that! But whatever - it sure would be nice!

L.

Reply to
Radiosrfun

Personally, I just hit previous on my remote when a commercial comes on. If this brings me to a commercial, I'm into the menu of my receiver looking for something short term. I figure about a minute for most commercials. I spend so much time avoiding them, no way am I getting their message!

Reply to
Golf