Need Appliance Repair Group Information

My 3-year old Admiral washing machine (made by Maytag)sometimes fails to drain and spin at the end of the rinse cycle. It has been doing this about 10% of the time for the last year.

If I rotate the timer back to the final spin position, it always works ok. Today I happened to be in the laundry and see the machine in the middle of what should have been the rinse drain/spin cycle and the machine was still agitating. I opened the lid and then reclosed it, and the machine immediately went into the drain/spin cycle.

As far as I know, the motor direction determines if it agitates or pumps out and spins. I am assuming that there is a relay somewhere that failed to operate/release and put the motor into the correct direction to drain and spin. I know there is an appliance repair group, but can't seem to come up with it.

Help!

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

I had a Maytag that did this, it was burned contacts in the timer. I was able to scrub them up and it worked fine until I got a different washer a few years later.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi Bob

Admiral here in Canada were built by Whirlpool and it was very common for the lid switch to go bad causing that problem. Sometimes the switch itself would give out and other times the plastic that the lid switch scews go into would break and the switch would drop down a bit and not make contact with the activation lever If it is whirlpool that built it you can remove the screws from the timer console and flip it out of the way. you will see a plug on the top of the washer with 3 wires 1 grnd and the other two go to the switch. bypass the switch and see if it runs okay

Lance

Reply to
nipperchipper

Here's a trick for you:

JeffM

repair+-ingroup:elec...

Today is laundry day, I'll run the machine with the lid switch replaced by a couple of clip leads and see what happens. Thanx for all the info.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Not Usenet, but there are forums at

and
Some manuals can be downloaded for free at

larry moe 'n curly

.

Thanks for the additional pointers

Reply to