Sony headphones

Hi

I've bought some rather cheap Sony headphones (MDR-V150), say 2 months ago. Suddenly the sound level on the right channel was weaker and there were almost no low frequencies when compared to the left channel. I first thought it was a loose soldering point because every time when I pushed the plastic case of the earcup, all went fine again. But when I've opened the earcup to fix the problem I've realised that the loose contact isn't a soldering point but some kind of plastic that's glued on the soldering points and goes onto the "speaker" ifself (more precisely, it's connected to a yellow semitransparent plastic layer, and this one's glued(?) on a metal with lots of holes inside). When I pushed onto this connecting plastic, all went fine again.

But how can I fix this issue? What's the kind of material used and where can I buy it?

Thanks a lot!

Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Weishaupt

It may be a conductive epoxy. Hard to come by.

greg

Reply to
GregS

If you hadn't opened them, Sony warrants all their stuff, even blatant junk, for a year for "workmanship and material defects". They'd give you new ones, you'd probably have to send them to Outer Mongolia to their service depot and wait six months but you'd get a new set.

However, now that you have, why don't you evaluate what your time is worth vs. the cost of the headphones. Supposing you could lay your hands on a consumer-affordable quantity of conductive epoxy or other magic proprietary glue (which is very doubtful), is it really worth it? If they were cheap, go buy another pair and be done with it. I hate needlessly throwing away stuff... I've been known to pick up other people's garbage on trash day and it kills me every time I go to the landfill and see the pallets of TV's, stereos, and other electronic gear but you're talking about a consumable item, not a durable good. Chuck 'em!

Dave S.

Reply to
Dave

Dave schrieb:

Yeah in fact it's already the second time I've bought this type of headphones. The first time it was the same issue, so I threw them away and bought a new pair because it was cheap. But this time I wanted to repair them in the hope they'd last a bit longer (not because I thought it'd be cheaper)...

Reply to
Andreas Weishaupt

'em!

Can you not just make a permanent version of your finger. In similar circumstances I've folded up a strip of that coarse woven plastic pan scourer material . Enough folds, to pack out , when placed over the bad contact and kept in place, squashed, by closing the casing back , ear cup in your case.

N Cook

N Cook schrieb:

Yup, I think that'll work fine! Thanks a lot!

Reply to
Andreas Weishaupt

Why not simply buy a pair of good, well-made headphones -- eg, Sennheiser -- and keep them?

---- The Lady from Philadelphia

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"you get what you pay for" strikes again. Damn.

Reply to
Dave

These are not servicable. See if they can be exchanged under warranty. If not, buy a new set.

If you go for something of good quality, you should have a better lifespan with them.

Jerry G. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Jerry G.

Andreas Weishaupt wrote in news:1204063652 snipped-for-privacy@sicinfo3.epfl.ch:

Radio shack sells a conductive ink pen for repair of circuit boards. You might try that.

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+spr@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

plastic

bad

cup in

Not woven , random open mesh of melted? fibres. The point is it is electically insulating but has a compression spring-like ability

N Cook