washer repair

Hi,

Is it possible to get service data on a particular washing machine? I have a Hot Point - sorry no model # at moment. It loads the water but plays dead (almost) when water is done and it should be going into "wash" mode. The drum doesn't move most of the time. IF it does move, with some coaxing, it goes in one direction when it should be going in "two" At any rate, I hear a bunch of relays clicking, motor humming and then silence as I guess the machine is shutting down due to thermal protection. In the "rinse and spin" cycles, it does rinse (I suppose - properly) and it seems to spin ok as well as withdraw the water.

Any clue on a problem OR where I can get data? Any books out there on Appliance repair? I can do Electric dryers like the back of my hand. Washers I'm new at and well, never did "Gas" dryers yet - either.

TIA

Lou

Reply to
clfe

Does it make arcy sparky noises in spin? Presuming it`s a front loader, the most common fault on Hotpoints is motor brushes worn out, giving the syptoms you describe. It might still spin - after a fashion - but noisily and intermittently.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

Start by looking inside - I've fixed several and never had a manual. Most of the washer is mechanical and the problem will be obvious once you figure out the lay of the land.

All the ones I've worked on have a single induction motor (usually 2 speed) with a serpentine belt driving a gear box or transmission. The gear box provides all the functions and is controlled by a mechanical linkage operated from two solenoids.

The solenoids don't work the transmission directly they just move a pawl in the way and a lever comes by and picks it up and shifts the transmission. The solenoids are usually the problem - in some washers they are mounted on a plate that moves so over a period of time (10 + years) the wires will break - just replace the wire with new flexible stuff and leave a long relief to allow for bending.

The other common failure that causes the same symptoms is the solenoid plungers. Water from condensate or leakage eventually gets to the plunger and it will rust so the action is stuck in one position or in between positions. The solenoid can be repaired by taking the plunger out and using emery cloth or steel wool to clean the rust off - no more than necessary because they are plated to resist rusting. Clean the barrel of rust as well. Spray it with light coat of WD-40 and it will go for years - don't oil it with machine oil - or it will gum up.

Solenoids that are unable to pull in will sometimes burn out - check the coil resistance if you suspect it.

A loose drive belt can also cause problems - but from what you describe I'd look for a mechanical problem in a shift linkage.

default

Sorry I should have added a tad more info - this is a "top" loader and I don't hear any sort of "sparky" noises.

Lou

Reply to
clfe

Thanks, will take a look............

Lou

Reply to
clfe

Is it a front loader or a top loader? Are you in North America or Europe/UK? There's some large fundamental differences.

Reply to
James Sweet